Samhain

Chat about pagan and Wiccan holidays.
mark

Samhain

Post by mark »

Bright Blessing I'm looking for some tips for my Samhain Altar and ritual.
ravenhecate

Post by ravenhecate »

What kind of tips are you looking for, specifically?

The best bet is to decorate the altar with seasonal items, like pumpkin, gourds, turnips (used to be the original Jack-o-lanterns before Europeans came to North America and discovered pumpkins) fall flowers like mums. Apples and apple cider are great too. Look up online for a recipe for cakes of the dead. I am sure you will find several different recipes.

Need any more help just holler.
Myth

Post by Myth »

Happy Samhain to you (and all) too!!

This is my favorite time of year....Autumn Equinox, Samhain, Solstice :) I get such energy from the season change :)

Blessings all!
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

On this post, I listed a lot of ideas for Samhain: http://www.everythingunderthemoon.net/f ... hp?t=16850
gaiagirl

Post by gaiagirl »

Your Samhain altar should honor your ancestors. It should also honor the spirit of mortality and the beautiful season of autumn. Think harvest symbols, fall colors, and photos of deceased loved ones.

Regarding your Samhain ritual, it is appropriate to light candles to honor the dead and to read the names of those who have passed. Some Wiccans ring a bell for each loved one who has died in the past year, and also for each deceased person whom they wish to honor.

Another way to honor the dead is to create an ancestor plate which has food on it. Leave the plate outside on Samhain night so as to feed the ancestors who come to visit your home. Others perform a rite called the "dumb supper" at which the living feast in silence to honor the dead. At the dumb supper, there are plates set for the departed ones. Leave these outside after the feast is finished.
Tyvnn Shroud

Post by Tyvnn Shroud »

What colors should the candles be that honor your departed loved ones?
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

Traditionally, on Samhain, candles to honor our departed are usually darker colours (black and dark blue)
Serendipity

Post by Serendipity »

I’m with ravenhectate about the seasonal items. Gourds, pumpkins, wheat stalks, corn (corn stalks in the yard, or ears of corn ((Indian corn is nice for this)) with the husks pulled back and tied together), apples, leaves that have turned, things like that.

You can do nice little things to them too. Use an apple corer to turn some of them into holders for taper candles.

Instead of doing flower arrangements you might try and do a wheat stalk arrangement. Cut the stalks to a height that is appropriate for whatever container you’re going to use. Bundle the stalks up with some kind of ribbon or twine or such and stick it in the pot. I usually use simple clay plots of various sizes for this.

Cut whatever seems appropriate to you in half and hollow it at being careful to leave a nice thick rind and then set a wick in it and pour in wax to make it into a candle.

Take an apple, cut it in half (around the middle) to revel the pentagram at the heart of the apple. Then dip it in lemon juice or some water that has had vitamin C added to it. Then put it on a cookie sheet in your oven overnight with the oven set on warm and the door left open a crack. You can do lots of things with these.

Black and orange are frequently thought to be the best colors for Samhain but go with whatever feels right to you.

Some people, especially if a meal of any kind is planned, will set out a plate for the dead.

Anyway those are a few tips. Enjoy.
Tyvnn Shroud

Post by Tyvnn Shroud »

Ravencry wrote:Traditionally, on Samhain, candles to honor our departed are usually darker colours (black and dark blue)
Thank you! =]
RAWRwiccan

Post by RAWRwiccan »

what is this holiday? i dont know what it's about please inform me

Return to “Sabbats and Esbats”