Re-using candels in spells?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
pandoram

Re-using candels in spells?

Post by pandoram »

I was just wondering if you really need to use a brand new candle for every spell you do.

Most of the spells I have found require the use of a brand new candle. I would prefer to use one large candle and just charge it for each spell.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
allyouneedislove

Post by allyouneedislove »

I would advise against it due to leftover energy from the prior usage. If you are concerned about cost, what would be ideal is getting a lot of small tealights because those are never more than a few cents for each. But if you feel like one big candle will work for you, then go for it and let me know what happens! :)
Traumwandlerin

Post by Traumwandlerin »

I don't see any problems with reusing candles ;) If you are afraid of leftover energy, just visualize after the spell hw the energy leaves with the flame. And for the new spell just put the new energy in the flame.

I, too, love rather a big candle than a smaller one. A big candle gives me the right feeling for the atmospere. It benefits me much more than any leftover energy could be destructive to me ;)

Also when you use a color code, you will always use the candle for the same energy, so leftover energy would rather be a benefit. But I would be careful about candles used in a destructive way. Or when you charged all your negative emotions in a candle to burn and afterwards want to use it for other things. So try to use on candle for one kind of magic.
ScarlettRose

Post by ScarlettRose »

In my opinion it's what you think in your own mind, you're the spell caster. If you want to re use the candle and you think it's fine, go for it! I sometimes re use candles. I don't see the big deal. If I need one and it's the only one I have I use it(:
It's to help you, so whatever you think is right will work great.
Hope that helps you!
Breathing in I feel gratitude; Breathing out I give thanks.
Breathing in I feel joyful; Breathing out I celebrate.
Breathing in I know compassion; Breathing I am compassion.
Breathing in I feel loved; Breathing out I offer love.
Breathing in I am still; Breathing out I am at peace.
Om.
WhiteRain

Post by WhiteRain »

I don't really have the cash to throw candles out like that, but what I try to do is reuse a candle for a similar spell. So if i have a green candle I use for a prosperity spell, if I do another prosperity spell at a later date, I will reuse it. However, I would try not to use it for a completely different kind of spell, like healing. Then I would try to get a new candle.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: using candels in spells?

Post by SpiritTalker »

Old topic, but FAQ

There’s a simple way around the dilemma. Charge your single candle “to aid and support all goals”; that is the intent of the candle. Use all-purpose dressing oil such as Olive oil that is multi-tasking & represents success and victory. Then write and charge separate petitions - the individual goal for each spell. Dab the corners with oil to hold your individual intent and place the petition under the candle. Light it and let it burn to a pin marking burn-time. Burn or shred the petition when you feel ready to release the full intent of your individual spell. Snuff the candle after burning or shredding the petition.

Petitions: should be written only on the front of any clean paper. Write the goal (intention) in a few present-tense words (I have, It is.) State only what you want & not what you don’t. Then turn the paper (clockwise ↩️ to attract, ↪️ reverse to repel) 1/4-turn & over-write the goal with the name & birthdate of the person to benefit from the spell. By over-writing the goal with a name you are showing that they dominate over the goal; but if the spell is against someone then write their name 1st & then over-write the name with the goal to show that the goal dominates the person. Then turn the paper 1/4 turn again & sign your initials showing that your intent dominates all else. Dab oil in a five-spot pattern [:-:] to anchor the spell into NOW like the quarters hold the circle in place. You end the spell by either burning or shredding the paper to release the power & the ash or confetti are scattered in the wind or dropped over a waste basket.
NeverMoonAWerewolf

Re: using candels in spells?

Post by NeverMoonAWerewolf »

I reuse candles sometimes. If I do not, I let them burn down completely.
YanaKhan

Re: Re-using candels in spells?

Post by YanaKhan »

If I have a candle that was left after a spell, I usually melt it to create a new one.
SapphireRoad

Post by SapphireRoad »

I take remnants to campfire together with used napkins which I otherwise consider gross to discard into public litter... I try to burn it together by the end of the waning moon cycle... nice thing is this way you can have a fire even in snow.
ᚩ ᚷ ᛒ (God and Goddess runes in union)
Hazel Moon

Post by Hazel Moon »

YanaKhan wrote:If I have a candle that was left after a spell, I usually melt it to create a new one.
I do that too. I actually have a bunch of soup cans with different colored wax in each one, all melted down from leftover candles so I can make new ones.

I heard somewhere that it's okay to do this, because reusing the wax is supposed to strengthen the energies in them. Of course, you probably wouldn't want to use a candle to boost your health then turn around and use it for a banishing spell. But if they're used for similar purposes, I think it would be okay.
We share our physical lives with those in spirit. For life, like love, never dies.
Love knows no limits, not even death.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

pandoram wrote:I was just wondering if you really need to use a brand new candle for every spell you do.

Most of the spells I have found require the use of a brand new candle. I would prefer to use one large candle and just charge it for each spell.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
It is customary to let one candle burn all the way out for spell to be complete. If you cannot afford lots of candles then buy a box of birthday candles. If you have stubs from other workings, melt them down and make something else with them, in the process de-commission them from their previous work. I've been making fire-starters with scrap wax.
SpiritTalker wrote:Write the goal (intention) in a few present-tense words (I have, It is.) State only what you want & not what you don’t
Soooooooo, important. in every spoken prayer as well. AVOID USING CONTRATIONS OF THE WORD "NO" when formulating your petition or prayer. It's hard, because it is easier to say "I don't want this."
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”