Paganism, witchcraft, and Wicca as portrayed on TV, movies, and popular culture. Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, Charmed, Practical Magic, etc. If you know of a good show or movie, you can recommend it here or discuss it with others.
SMushroom

Post by SMushroom »

i saw something that people have some weard problem with the movie avatar cuz it has "pagan"...i dont even know but i guess the curch has beef with that movie anyone know why? i love that movie and i see nothing that has to do with "evil pagan blah blah blah" stuff :/
Erhalten Sie Einen Geschmack Der Religion Leckt Eine Hexe.
shadowx
Banned Member

Post by shadowx »

It does deal with a lot of pagan principals, the afterlife, the tree of life thing, mother nature and a connection with animals (both literal with the hair thing and later on when our hero talks to the tree and tells it he needs help and then the next day all the animals fight together as one, so a mental connection there) and there are elements o tribal witchcraft in the rituals.

I think to a vasual watcher it would just be a film, but if you look it is fairly pagan. It is also refers to african tribes and the invasion of the lands by white europeans. All the aliens are voiced by black actors, all the avatar folk are white and even the woman who sets up the schools etc... looks like a white explorer. Tis a film of many levels!
Peregrine

Post by Peregrine »

I read an article that the Vatican had a problem with it for those reasons (such as "encouraging earth worship" or something along those lines). I was thinking along the lines of the South American rainforests myself when I watched it.
ravenhecate

Post by ravenhecate »

My husband and I went to see that movie yesterday, since it has been re-released. We missed it the first time around, so I was glad that it came out again. In my opinion, it couldn't have gotten more pagan. The Na'vi reminded me of a combination between Native Americans and tribal Africans. That kind of connection to the Earth is what I have been trying to re-capture for the past 20 years.
Strawberry

Post by Strawberry »

I do think that it is very Pagan and, as someone said, VERY Native american.

Not sure?

Watch Pocahontas. It's a VERY similar storyline to Avatar.
:P
SMushroom

Post by SMushroom »

ok. i guess i understand why thay would think that. but still its very sic fic people need to let it be its just a movie ya know? i dont understand some people. :/
shadowx
Banned Member

Post by shadowx »

It's because the church feels under threat ;) little scared children running from the truth in order to bolster their gold lined pockets.

Same thing happened with the DaVinci Code, a story, nothing more. But evidently the church is scared of the book... i wonder why...
SMushroom

Post by SMushroom »

i love the the DaVinci Code the 2ed one too. i think its so lame thay need to freak out about books and movies :/ there is no point to it and people are going to read and watch them anyway so its not doing much good
shadowx
Banned Member

Post by shadowx »

If anything it just makes even more people read them and makes the church look retarded (which it is) so im all for them crying over it!

But they are both still stories, even if they do seem to contain factual information :P
Mazu Sakura

Re: Avatar?

Post by Mazu Sakura »

@ Strawberry:
yes, Pochohantas does contain a lot of pagan influences, and the song "colors of the wind" relvoles around a lot of the religions in paganism.
The tears we cry are the scars we bear.
May we bear them with pride, for they tell the story of who we are and where we have been.
BLESSED BE!

Return to “Witchcraft and Wicca in the Media”