Mom was fine, grandma wasn't, now it's the other way around.

Teenagers are a special bunch with concerns different than adults. Teens can chat with each other here and learn from one another.
Danax

Mom was fine, grandma wasn't, now it's the other way around.

Post by Danax »

Well, a while ago I came out of the small little broom closet I was in, and told my mom and grandmother (my dad is not in the picture D<) that I was a witch.

My mom seemed fine with it, my grandmother, my Nane, on the otherhand? She seemed convinced that wicca was a cult of all things.

But you know what the funny thing is? Months later, after reading some passages of one of my books to her, Nane's got no problem with it.
My mother? I get this feeling she's not as fine with it as she first let on... She knows all about the nature worship, what wicca was all about, didn't seem to let this on when I tried coming out in the summer before 7th grade, and my almost step dad flipped when he found that book of mine, The complete guide to witchcraft, that I checked out from the library, when HE returned it, he said something of the lines of to the library 'can't believe you let kids check these kinds of books out'. That just hurt, since I loved the man like he was my father, didn't have another incident like that since I never brought it up again till a year after he died.

Sorry, got a bit off track. Anyway, she saw me writing in my book of shadows, in my room mind you, not in front of people or anything, and you should have seen the look on her face. It was this disapproving look that just didn't sit right with me. But again, she said she was fine with it and left, but I was starting to doubt that at that point. Then a few months later, when it started getting warmer out, and I wanted to set up an outdoor altar, she was adamant about me NOT doing so. You know why? Because the neighbors might 'see me' giving me the deepest feeling she was ashamed of me being a witch.

I was going to set up the outdoor altar so I could burn incense without it bothering her, since she's allergic to very strong scents, and incense would definitely set off an allergic reaction. Seriously, she had a mini-flip out when I told her about it and said 'NO' in a definitely "Hell NO" voice. We had a fight after that, and I haven't talked about witchcraft or wicca as much as I used to... She once told me she wanted to know everything I was doing, rituals and spells and such, but I think she just wanted to make sure I wouldn't do anything 'bad'. This is seriously discouraging and I haven't done much since besides making runes and getting a set of celtic tarot cards, and using them. She doesn't even believe me when I talk about the things I've Seen, even the really bad ones, like the vision of fire and screams, things I NEED to talk about.

Any advice?
Blessed be to all
Sometimes, it is the little things in life that really matter.
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

I went through something similar, but at least your mother allows you to keep all of your sacred objects. My grandmother threw them away (almost 5 decks of tarot, 2 sets of runes, millions of sticks of incense, candles, the whole 9 yards.)

Just give your mother some time. She probably just thinks that its a 'phase' and you'll grow out of it. Just continue your practice, but keep one foot in the broom closet about it. When you get older, she'll realise that your not going through a phase. Also, take the time to try to educate her about what you do. Tell her what the more 'scary' things of our craft mean. Explain to her that your not doing this cause 'its the cool thing to do'. As a mother, I understand why your mother is upset.

Just take things slow, try not to bring it up until she does, and don't be too outgoing with your practice yet. Give her sometime to get used to it. I know that its already been sometime, but some mothers take longer than others.
Aniu

Post by Aniu »

I agree. The only thing I have to add to that is the whole "I have my life you have yours" thing. Before my mom got over it (She never accepted she just tolerates) I had to lay on the "This is America and I have my freedom of religion" and tell her what wicca was TRUELY about. She likes to take down my alter stil....
Forever live in love and light!
Danax

Post by Danax »

now that sucks. My mom does know all about Wicca, but she still gives off that negative aura about it. I don't have the room to set up an altar in my bedroom, and plus, she's allergic to incense. That's why I wanted to set it up outside. If I went with saying all that though, I'd probably get in trouble for talking back. Plus, she'd probably act confused about why I was ranting on her in the first place. Strength to you though, best of luck.
Blessed be to all
Sometimes, it is the little things in life that really matter.
missmelodygrace

Post by missmelodygrace »

Im 35 years old and have been a practising witch since I was 14 ... and yet still when my mother hears me tell people what my religion is she says 'no your not ... dont say such things'

We cant change people just their perceptions .... like ravenscry says just keep practising and be open and honest without pushing it in her face and hopefully she will learn to accept it if not understand

blessings to you ....
Laugh your head off, dance in the rain.
Cherish all moments, ignore all the pain.
Live, Laugh, Love, forgive and forget,
Life is too short to live with regret.

Return to “Teen Concerns”