It Feels Like Time

Discussion about pets, familiars, animal totems, animal spirits, pet ghosts, and more. All animal talk, crazy and normal, is welcome here.
reikihealer83

It Feels Like Time

Post by reikihealer83 »

Hi Everyone!

I never post on this part of the forum but recently I have felt the draw to choose my familiar. I want a cat (a bit cliche but also quite traditional) but I am so worried about the financial aspect of it. I am lowering my bills a bit now but honestly, after shots, etc how much does it really cost to have a kitty? Any advice would be great. Thanks!
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

Depends on how much your going to spoil the kitty and if your able to use a low-cost vet (for low-income families).
Otherwise, the cost of having a cat is quite high. You have to think about the litter (prices range between $7 and $20), which goes by really quickly, the food (which is fairly cheap if you don't mind getting them just normal cat food, non-organic and whatnot), if they get fleas, you'll either have to take them to the vet or do it yourself, (I do it myself, I don't mind the claw marks, I'd rather them not have the bugs on them and not have to pay near 50$), Shots, Spaying/neuter costs (I find it cruel, but I would have no homes for the kittens and I don't want that to happen), and if they get sick (indoor cats are less likely to get rabies and other diseases that are contacted from stray cats, so having an indoor kitty is quite a money-saver). Its a double bonus if the cat already has its shots.
reikihealer83

Post by reikihealer83 »

Ravencry wrote:Depends on how much your going to spoil the kitty and if your able to use a low-cost vet (for low-income families).
Otherwise, the cost of having a cat is quite high. You have to think about the litter (prices range between $7 and $20), which goes by really quickly, the food (which is fairly cheap if you don't mind getting them just normal cat food, non-organic and whatnot), if they get fleas, you'll either have to take them to the vet or do it yourself, (I do it myself, I don't mind the claw marks, I'd rather them not have the bugs on them and not have to pay near 50$), Shots, Spaying/neuter costs (I find it cruel, but I would have no homes for the kittens and I don't want that to happen), and if they get sick (indoor cats are less likely to get rabies and other diseases that are contacted from stray cats, so having an indoor kitty is quite a money-saver). Its a double bonus if the cat already has its shots.
Ravencry,

Thank you so much. It would definately be an indoor cat no questions about that. I think I may have found a good cheap vet in the area. I am planning on getting some toys but not spoil the kitty to death. The litter was my huge question because I know that can get expensive. How often do you change it...every 3 days? It would just be 1 cat too. I am not sure about the shots scenario at this time as I may be getting a small kitten so I am thinking no shots until a little time has passed. Thank you so much for your advice and I am going to keep it in my mind.
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

Also! The most expensive part is the food and the litter. I found a recipe for homemade kitty litter and how to make your own cat food to cut costs for you, also. (These are tough times, any way to save is great) Heres how to make the kitty litter:

1.Shred newspaper in a paper shredder. I collect the shredded paper in an unused litter box.
2.Soak the paper in warm water mixed with a few squirts gentle, biodegradable dish soap (like Ecover). The shredded paper takes on a cooked oatmeal consistency. The paper won’t come completely clean, but the water will turn grey.
3.Drain the water (an old colander works wonders) and repeat the soaking process minus the soap.
4.Sprinkle baking soda liberally on the wet paper. Knead it in to the mixture (you might want to wear gloves to avoid getting ink on your hands).
5.Squeeze the remaining moisture out until it’s as dry as you can get it.
6.Crumble over a screen and leave to dry (it takes a few days).

And heres a website that has cat food recipes (Its a blog, so unfortunately you have to scroll through a lot to find the recipes):
http://cat-recipes.blogspot.com/
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

With this litter, you can change it once a week, while taking out the clumps of poo daily.
reikihealer83

Post by reikihealer83 »

You rock! Thank you so much dear. Anyway to save money is indeed helpful :)
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

Best of luck to you and your familiar-to-be :D
reikihealer83

Post by reikihealer83 »

Ravencry wrote:Best of luck to you and your familiar-to-be :D
Thank you dear! I am so happy that I might actually be doing this. I am open to everyone's advice too. Any other pearls of wisdom from everyone here would be most appreciated :)
JBRaven
Banned Member

Post by JBRaven »

The standing rule on cat liter for one cat is sift daily for poo, and completely change once a fourthnight. I buy a bag of litter that cost me one dollar I normally have to spend about 5 dollars month.

To me food would be the most expensive. I like her food to be more than just "x" shaped card board.
reikihealer83

Post by reikihealer83 »

JBRaven wrote:The standing rule on cat liter for one cat is sift daily for poo, and completely change once a fourthnight. I buy a bag of litter that cost me one dollar I normally have to spend about 5 dollars month.

To me food would be the most expensive. I like her food to be more than just "x" shaped card board.
This is the stupid question of the night, what is a fourthnight with regards to timetable? Like I said, silly question lol.
JBRaven
Banned Member

Post by JBRaven »

every four (4) days
Black_Cat

Post by Black_Cat »

you should to petco there shots are free. ( well mines is ) usaully for a cat you have to pay like $30 dollars per shots, it matters where your going to get the shot thats how much you will have too pay, and you goto buy food,and a liter box, and maybe a couple of toys, when i got my kitty i paid alot cause i got everything cats need i payed $100, and if you get a kitty you need to give it alot of love and atention,
When the shadows come...
when the moon is full....
the black cat is here....

Return to “Animals and Pets”