Meditation?

Post meditations or discuss consciousness exploration here.
WereLu

Meditation?

Post by WereLu »

will anyone help me out? i need to know some types of how to meditate, thx ya'll

WereLu
willow_witch

Post by willow_witch »

from what ive heard there are different types of meditation, based on your ability to meditate.. for example i dunt meditate becoz i cant, unless im in a circle with my coven and even then it pretty basic stuff.. but my friend is amazing with his meditation,
the basic technic is to put yourself into a state of peace, it somewhere between being awake and being alseep.... and then basiclly if you have a question to ask or a reason for meditating ask it in your mind, and then either it will be answered in picture form or your spirt guide will come to help you... but that is just mi understanding from reading books and stuff... hope you have natural ability because appantly meditation rules...blessed be willow
~willow~

*blessed be*
~Merry meet, Merry part, til we Merry meet again~
being-singular-plural

Post by being-singular-plural »

Good advice Willowwitch,

I am an avid meditator. If you are only beginning, I suggest that you start with a Yoga DVD and try it at home. Gaiam has great ones as does Yoga Zone. Once the body is stretched and relaxed, then perhaps some meditative visions will arise depending on how in tune you are with your imagination. From basic yoga moves and the practice of circular breathing, one can easily achieve the alpha state (the type of brain waves that are between sleep and waking). Even just focussing on one thing can get you there. Try sitting quietly and listening to the inhales and exhales of your breath. If you can focus on this long enough without distraction then you are a meditator through and through. Or, alternatively, many shamans use the rhythmic sounding of a drum, djembe, bongo or othe rpercussive instrument. Something about the steady rhythm allows the body to slow down its conscious vibration and speed up the unconscious impulses. At first, the goal should be for stress relief and inner quietude. Soon, though, you will begin to experiment more and your thoughts will become, well let's just say, something other than your own! Start with simple breathing and practice focusing on that. Again, basic yoga is a great place to start. Good Luck WereLu and let us know how you continue to develop.

Blessings,
bsp
celticwave

Post by celticwave »

Hey

Meditation Cds are a great idea if your starting out, because you have a guide, which is really helpful :)

Elyse
*~Life may not be the party we'd hoped for, but while we're here we might aswell dance~*
Shaderoth

Post by Shaderoth »

Not sure if this'll help, but I meditate like this.
1. Sit so you're comfy, shut yer eyes
2. Say in your mind, "I am not my body, I am not my memories, I am not the sum of my experiences, I am not my mind etc." It doesn't really matter what you say as long as you mentally remove that thing from your perception of yourself as you say it.
3. As you say each thing see the darkness closing in tighter around you until you are floating in a void.

That's it really.
phoenixfiress

Post by phoenixfiress »

I think you've already been given some great pointers by people here. I would just like to add that patience is key in meditation. You might not get it the first time. I know I didn't. I was always a few steps away from all-encompassing frustration to begin with. Making all of the day to day detritus of our minds float away can be very difficult sometimes. Those thoughts just seem to want to force their way in. Stick with it, though, and I can almost guarantee that it will be worth it. After ample experience, you'll become more adept at quieting your mind, and it will benefit you in ways you might not be able to forsee right now. Not only will your body, mind, and spirit be calm for the duration of your meditation, but you'll find that quietude will follow you into your daily life. You'll eventually find yourself better able to quell the stress and negativity you encounter in yourself as a natural reaction to intense situations. It can be very helpful. It has been for me, anyway. I wish you the best of luck with this.

-phoenixfiress
Orion

Post by Orion »

I'll defiently second what phoenixfiress said :)

Practicing meditation has some lasting effects. Peace of mind, lol. Little things that bother you... are just not worth becoming angry over. And combined with something like yoga, as bsp was saying, can make it good to dissolve mental self-abuse (never know how mean you are to yourself until you listen... was quite a surprising experience for me).

The tranquilty of silence, I guess.
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as judge in the field of truth and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the Gods." -Einstein

There are always facts, the best most of us can do is try to continuously adjust our opinions to become closer to those facts. For that, there is Science and Philosophy. One to argue facts and one to argue opinions. The result: The big bang is some sort of sexual innuendo resulting from your subconscious.
AnuChild

Post by AnuChild »

My highschool taught us basic meditation when we were 15... It can do amazing things for health benefits, even if you don't do magick or Wicca with it (my doctor has me on a strict regimen of mediation for at least 10 to 15 minutes of meditation a day). I found guided meditation the easiest.

What I do is this: Put on some soothing music (not lyrics, just instruments, sometimes nature sounds too). I get into a comfy position (but not too comfy - I don't want to fall asleep!) with my back straight and my legs curled. I close my eyes and focus on something simple. Sometimes I focus on a word (like Hope or Peace) and envision its manifestations. Sometimes I focus on going to a peaceful place (like the beach or nature trails). I just concentration on that simple idea, making it real in my head, pushing other thoughts aside.

Meditation comes fairly easy to me but I've been doing it for a long time. I've heard that there are CDs of guided meditation (someone telling you what to envision) and that might help a beginner.
Come, heart, where hill is heaped upon hill:
For there the mystical brotherhood
Of sun and moon and hollow and wood
And river and stream work out their will.

W. B. Yeats, Into the Twilight

Return to “Consciousness Work and Meditation”