I don't know how to get help. >.>

Teenagers are a special bunch with concerns different than adults. Teens can chat with each other here and learn from one another.
PoisonMushroom-DoNotEatMe

I don't know how to get help. >.>

Post by PoisonMushroom-DoNotEatMe »

I think I may have depression. I took multiple quizes online and each said I should really get help. Then I went and read up on symptoms and each seemed to apply to me. I'm ok with being depressed, but I've been getting into suicidal moods more often lately. I don't want to scar myself or ruin my life!

How do I ask for help or tell my parents?
I mean, 'Hey dad, I think I may have depression and feel like killing myself! :D' doesn't quite work for me. I've never really asked for help from my parents/some other adult before, I'm self-dependent when it comes to this type of thing and I don't think I can take this on my own!
zenine

Post by zenine »

Tell them what you told us. That you took some surveys and they all said that you were, plus all the symptoms suit your situation. You could even print them out to show them as they will believe you more if they see evidence like test results, even if they are from the net. Tell them that you are seriously worried that you have depression and you want to get a proper test from a doctor. There's no need to tell them you feel like killing yourself without them even asking you. but if they do ask, tell the truth, and say sometimes you do (think about it) but you would never actually go through with it (even if you would). Remember that you're still not 100% sure that you even have it, so technically it could still be stress or just ordinary sadness. Depending on how old you are, and i'm not being patronising when i say this, but it could also be hormones. A lot of teenagers mistakenly believe they have depression or bipolar as they read through the symptoms and start to worry, but the "lows" in bipolar, for example, are the same as the lows you feel when you are just down. so normal people can experience highs and lows, but that also means that it can be tricky to diagnose. er... I just don't know how to prepare them. I would just say "mom I have to tell you something" and see what she says or when we can talk, if we couldn't talk then and there. but they're your parents, so I don't know them and I wouldn't really know how to prepare them. Would you?
To see the world in a grain of sand, and heaven in a wild flower. To hold infinity in the palm of your hand, An eternity in an hour.
(William Blake)
WitchyLady506

Post by WitchyLady506 »

I would sit down and ask them if they ever felt the way you do, and that you think you might need to see a doctor about it, because you know something's not right. Like suggested before, show them the surveys you've taken and just talk to them. They're your parents so I'm sure they will only want the best for you and will do what's need to help you.
They say only Silver Bullets kill the beast inside.....
[bluephoenix]

Post by [bluephoenix] »

remember that if you exhaust all non-magical ways then you can pray to he goddess for help or design a get happy spell. also watch what you eat because that can cause depression or worsen it
Blue Phoenix

"The wisest mind has something yet to learn."
EmoClawra

Post by EmoClawra »

they said that i was very high in paranoia which is true cos i spent last night thinking about shutting down my school (crazy me)
TheArtOfLife

Post by TheArtOfLife »

EmoClawra wrote:they said that i was very high in paranoia which is true cos i spent last night thinking about shutting down my school (crazy me)
You are not crazy at all. I have been thinking about going to a mental hospital. that's because I didn't really trust myself about my mental being, but I know it is total ridiculous and caused by getting to much things from the outside, like my mom is sick, my ex started talking to me again, I have to paint my bag, I have to order that schoolbook, and so on.. Now that I have a diary, the diary would do the job.
Seaspirit

Post by Seaspirit »

At least you are smart enough to realize you have a problem. That is already a big step! So many people stay in the denial phase, until things are totally out of control.

Asking for help does not make you less independent or self sufficient. It's actually the opposite. It take a lot of strength and confidence in oneself to know when we need a helping hand. You can't do everything yourself, so it's okay! And there are times, that you will be able to help another, so it all balances out.

I think it would be great to go to your parents and tell them you are having a hard time with some things, and feel you need assistance.

It will all work out..! You have exactly the right mindset here in recognizing its time for help :wink:
In Light is birthed discovery.....in discovery is birthed the journey of power.
advice plz

Re: I don't know how to get help. >.>

Post by advice plz »

when that was going on with me my counsoler tod me that it was anxtiety i would try asking for a counsoler or vsiting the school counsoler (assumeing you have one) it worked for me ^-^
Lynxy Bloom

Re:

Post by Lynxy Bloom »

Seaspirit wrote:At least you are smart enough to realize you have a problem. That is already a big step! :

I really agree with this wisdom. This is a HUGE step. Once you've realized you need help, then accepting help should be a breeze. Ther are a lot of hotlines to call, also, a school counselor is a good idea. Personally, what worked for me was alot of productive self expression, like painting, or creative writing. It was through that expression that helped others to understand what I was going through, which helped me alot. I hope everything gets better for you, sweetie, and just remember, there are people here for you. Take care, and many, many blessings. ::hug::
Asch

Re: I don't know how to get help. >.>

Post by Asch »

You could also have a physiological source for your feelings. A lot of illnesses can manifest with signs of depression. You're very smart to have realized something is wrong and to be brave enough to take steps to be a happier person. Good luck :)
This is what I am, here is where I remove my mask.

Return to “Teen Concerns”