i don’t know why you take a witch name...

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Stargazerlily35

i don’t know why you take a witch name...

Post by Stargazerlily35 »

Merry Meet all

Do you have a name that you took to pratice the craft? if yes why and how did you come up with it? I have been praticeing for a little over a year and I read that you should take a name. I am not sure how or why. Thanks for all your help
Blessed Be,
shadowx
Banned Member

Post by shadowx »

You dont need one, but many people choose to take one on.

Like Firewolf said, meditate and look at yourself, you'll find it!
Sallydreams

Post by Sallydreams »

Most covens ask that you take on a new name, or nickname and many times you'll never find out their real name. That way you won't "spill the beans" on their practice and a lot of studies have said that by giving up your parent-given name you are naming yourself in honor of the god/goddess of your choice and giving up your old self as a sacrifice.

I haven't given up my name simply because I'm not in a coven. There are some solitaries that claim a new name though, just not me.

So basically... if you feel the need to change your name in rite of passage, do so. If not, no one will think less of you or your practice.
Witch13
Banned Member

Post by Witch13 »

Like Sally said, having a new name just like many other things in witchcraft is something of your choise..
I have a new name, which i keep secret! Knowing someone's true name means you have power over them because that name holds the his true nature! To put it simple its words that describe him the most.
Dont worry if you cant think of something, time will tell!
Witch13
Banned Member

Post by Witch13 »

Like Sally said, having a new name just like many other things in witchcraft is something of your choise..
I have a new name, which i keep secret! Knowing someone's true name means you have power over them because that name holds the his true nature! To put it simple its words that describe him the most.
Dont worry if you cant think of something, time will tell!
Stargazerlily35

Post by Stargazerlily35 »

Thanks so much for all your help. This has been alot of help and I am on the right track now :)

Blessed Be
Stargazerlily
JBRaven
Banned Member

Post by JBRaven »

I have two magic names one for group working (StarGirl) and the other I use when I am working solo. I got my group name because I use a lot of spells that use star energy, they are a balance of fem. and masc. to me. suns that only shine at noght. My other one is what my spirit guide calls me and is only known by my human counter part C.D because he knows everything about me not matter if I tell him or not.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”