Pagan-istic rock/metal

Paganism, witchcraft, and Wicca as portrayed on TV, movies, and popular culture. Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, Charmed, Practical Magic, etc. If you know of a good show or movie, you can recommend it here or discuss it with others.
shadowx
Banned Member

Pagan-istic rock/metal

Post by shadowx »

Thought i would share a few tracks with you all and hope you can return the favour so i can increase my library of tracks!

Firstly within temptation... Some would call them whiney due to their classically trained female lead vocalist. They are sort of symphonic rock/metal where the main body of the music is made up of a symphony of more classical instruments EG the strings and piano, however they then have the metal-esque drums that bring the beat right in and then the dark metal bass and rock-ish guitar riffs. Coupled with the classically trained, almost operatic female lead soprano and the almost haunting notes she produces makes from some really energetic and brilliant music. There are now a christian band and their latest album IMHO detaches too far from the symphonic roots but its good metal/rock. Their albums "Mother Earth" and "the silent force" are really pagan in the lyrics, particularly "Mother earth" and "Ice queen" and the track which really sticks out as amazingly pagan in lyrics is "Never ending story" which tells the tale of the earth and life as a never ending story "The earth is our mother, she gives and she takes. She puts us asleep and her light will awake" really pagan IMHO. And really damn good! (perfect harmony is another brilliant song) youtube them!

LAcuna coil are fairly good, not pagan per-say but gothic/symphonic.

Currently playing Nightwish at work :P It sounds good, got some tracks from inkubus sukubus lined up too and with names like "Heart of lilith" and "Beltaine" i expect them to be rather pagan... Good times!

Any others in a similar genre i should know about? Evanescence are a bit mainstream for me and dont have enough of the symphony and strings.
Airlight
Banned Member

Post by Airlight »

Both Within Temptation and Lacuna Coil are considered Gothic Metal...even with Within Temptation's Pagan-like lyrics. Some of Lacuna Coil's music can be considered Pagan.

Nightwish is Opera Metal...they are great, but they changed lead singers...I don't like them much anymore.

Now, Inkubus Sukkubus is considered Pagan Rock. They also do a remake of Paint It Black which I prefer over the Rolling Stones one. They also have Witch's Chant, it goes "Isis, Astarte, Diana, Hecate, Demeter, Kali, Inanna". I love their music and they were the first band to be labeled Pagan Rock.

Other bands you would like...probably Dead Can Dance, Coil, Faith and the Muse. Even Black Sabbath is considered a Pagan Band because of their music.
Sapphire

Post by Sapphire »

What do you guys think of Evanescence? they're not together anymore but they're really good Gothic Metal
smallpoxx

Post by smallpoxx »

Kinda funny I saw this today, I just discovered Inkubus sukkubus today :D I'm really loving them. It's so refreshing to finally get some pagan music to rock out to. I listen to emerald rose and chalice and blade, but rocks my favorite kind of music. I like evanescence too, but yes, they are very mainstream. Infact; Even before I was in to rock, I like'd evanescence ( because everyone does, lol)
reikihealer83

Post by reikihealer83 »

I love within temptation and some of NightWish. My favorite Nightwish song is Bless the Child and i like almost all of Within Temptation. Another one I have recently come across is Kristen Lawrence. She writes Halloween Carols and she is really good. Has anyone ever heard of her and what do you think? I would agree that WT and NW are both Pagan in their lyrics but some of WT lyrics are very ambigous such as Hand of Sorrow.
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

I went to see Nightwish in concert a couple years ago, and their new singer sucks.

Personally, when I listen to pagan music, I don't look for rock, but something that will put me in a magical mood.

I like:
Omnia
Faith and The Muse
Loreena McKennit
Kate Havnevik (not really pagan, but good music)
OracleofIsis

Post by OracleofIsis »

Sapphire wrote:What do you guys think of Evanescence? they're not together anymore but they're really good Gothic Metal
Evanescence is still together. Their new album is coming out in fall/winter of this year :)
EmoClawra

Post by EmoClawra »

From Inkubus Sukkubus, these are my favourite songs:

Wake of the Christian knights
Church of Madness
Wytches
Belladonna and Aconite
Samhain
Paint it Black

For some reason I have stopped listening to Samhain because I was thinking that if I listened to it too much, I will get bored of it. It's a great song[/list]
WitchyLady506

Post by WitchyLady506 »

Tristania has a bit of that. Also Sarah Jezebel Diva who was a backup singer for Cradle of Filth has her own band. I also think you would like Umbra et Imago, though the lead singer's a guy, but it's along those lines. I also like Versailles, who are from Japan, again male singer, and it's a beautiful merge of orchestral and metal.
They say only Silver Bullets kill the beast inside.....
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

Tristania is actually quite good, they have beautiful music. I don't listen to them cause if my ex found out, he would think that I love him and wouldn't leave me alone :/ (This is the curse of doing general love spells)
ravenhecate

Post by ravenhecate »

My favorite Pagan artist is Todd Allen. He is really good.

I also like Jethro Tull's Songs From the Woods. They aren't exactly pagan, though Ian Anderson has said in interviews that he didn't follow the traditional Christian view of God.
milkywaydisco

Post by milkywaydisco »

Well it's not "pagan" music, but I find Iamamiwhoami to be a very spiritual musician and I LOVE HER MUSIC and her art.
She blows my mind.
She a very spiritual person and I like her because she is actually talented at something, and she started out by just making videos with her music and posting them on Youtube and getting her music out that way. She is not signed to a record label, but her parents are rich or something so she had money of her own to put into her production. I guess I can really appreciate that, looking at how people who are wealthy choose to spend their money. Look at people in Hollywood who are famous for no reason, have endless amounts of money and eventually bring about their own hardship as a result of their wastefulness and greed. Karma!
And then I listen to her music and watch her vids and applaud her for using the money she was blessed with in her life and put it toward making something really beautiful and thought-provoking for so many people to enjoy.

People on Youtube keep comparing her with Lady Gaga because she's "weird" or "unique" or "artistic" but there is noooo comparison.

Plus, I love that people say she's a total weirdo, because I love weirdos.

Link, in HD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEoGQU_k78k
Cinder
Location: Travelling through my soul attempting to find myself.

Post by Cinder »

I LOVE the songs "New Moon" by Celica Westbrook and "Bewitching Hour" by Phoebe Sharp, both songs that I often cast to. (:
Shoot for the Moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

"Well, I guess i'm that one curly fry in the box of regulars" ~Jason Mraz. :) <3

~Life is Good :) <3~
Aniu

Post by Aniu »

It was suposed to be christian rock, but fireflights unbreakable works. I also use Fireflights Forever to help me connect to Raven my spirit guide.
Forever live in love and light!

Return to “Witchcraft and Wicca in the Media”