Planning a new rose garden? Any Advice.........

Love to garden? Me too! Garden talk and photos goes here: Flower gardens, vegetable gardens, organic gardening, natural pest control, houseplants, more.
oswaldseymour

Planning a new rose garden? Any Advice.........

Post by oswaldseymour »

I am going to venture into the world of rose gardening in the spring and I was hoping for some advice. The first thing I'm going to do is get my soil tested and put a lot of work/money into it, as a vegetable and fruit gardener I am a firm believer in working the dirt.
I've been waffling a bit on the exact roses that I will plant and I was hoping for advice from people who have actually grown them. I will be planting one climber, six shrubs, and six standard trees, with a sunset color theme.
Here are the roses I've chosen, please tell me if you think they are good or if you think I should plant something else instead.
Climber: Autumn Sunset
Shrubs: Midas Touch, Joseph's Coat (I know it's a climber but I must have it and I'm willing to prune/train,) Strike it Rich, Fragrant Cloud, Chris Evert, Legends.
Trees: Julia Child, Radiant Perfume (I've read lots of bad news about this one, is there a good replacement?) Just Joey, Sunstruck, Dream Come True, Bella'roma.
IsisUnknown

Post by IsisUnknown »

we have a flower pot garden becauseour yard is an old construction storage site, i'm attempting to start a smaller rose garden too :) only have 3 bushes growing right now.

the main thing i've noticed is if they're in the open they don't survive well. we have ours on the porch (west side of the house) so they only get direct sun for part of the day. & keep them watered good... They're next to a wall also so they don't get wind damage or anything when it storms...
im new at it too so not sure how helpful that is... good luck with your roses!

Return to “Gardening”