what is the difference between ritual and spell?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Earth Ritual

what is the difference between ritual and spell?

Post by Earth Ritual »

Can someone distinguish more me the difference be a ritual and a spell?
You are either for Life or against It. There is no in between.

I used to believe in god above. Now I'm filled with so much love.-Erykah Badu after the invocation of the Goddess

May the love that holds eternity at its fingertips kiss each and everyone one you on the lips. May your words bring worlds that bring hope to a world dying to be reborn.
Twisted_Pixie

Post by Twisted_Pixie »

To me a spell is a small sometimes informal event where you may ask for a specific thing to manifest or send out intent....

Ritual to me is very very similar, you still have intent and may even have a desired outcome, but it is much more formal and for me lasts a little longer.... ritual can also to me be a process of worship or thanksgiving etc...

But i do believe they both overlap.

Thats my opinion, what are everyone elses definitions?

Pix
Earth Ritual

Post by Earth Ritual »

Thank you Pix.

I generally think of spells with an defined outcome. I think of ceremony with a defined outcome except longer and involving a group. I think of ritual as have intent but no define outcome so there is an element of mystery.

I asked this question because I hear people using these words but they seem to have different meanings depending on who is using them.

I used to believe in god above. Now I'm filled with so much love.-Erykah Badu after the invocation of the Goddess

May the love that holds eternity at its fingertips kiss each and everyone one you on the lips. May your words bring worlds that bring hope to a world dying to be reborn.
Greymalkin
Banned Member

Post by Greymalkin »

A ritual doesn't always have to be performed by a group. A single person can conduct a successful ritual.

A spell is an act of magick with the intention to bring about desired change.
It can be as elaborate or as simple as you wish.
It raises and harnesses energies from the practicioner and/or the environment which are then directed towards the intended goal.

A ritual is a pre-meditated sequence of events (usually) in honor of something or someone.
In a Wiccan framework, a number of rituals would make up a whole ceremony.
For example, casting the circle is a ritual. Calling the quarters is another, Cakes and Wine is another.

They are pre-planned actions that take you from one part of the ceremony to another.
Earth Ritual

Post by Earth Ritual »

Thank you Greymalkin

Greymalkin
Banned Member

Post by Greymalkin »

You're welcome Earth Ritual.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”