How can i tell the parentals?

Teenagers are a special bunch with concerns different than adults. Teens can chat with each other here and learn from one another.
Ginger Faith!
Banned Member

How can i tell the parentals?

Post by Ginger Faith! »

I have been wanting to tell them for a while, but i dont think its a good idea.
I know what im doing is right, that this is my path, but my parents can be quite scary, and they tend not to like me.hehe.
I have to tell them sooner or later, right? Cant it be later, like, when i'm out of the house and in college or something?
Because being a 15 year-old and stuck in lewisville, you cant do much. That your parents dont know about.
And besides i dont really like to keep things from them, i mean my whole life has been crap, and all of it is secret, but my religon is something i want to share. To let them know im not srolling out in the park with candles to kill someone. <I>
I need some help with this, please. Anyone have a way to let them down easy?
NightRose
Banned Member

Post by NightRose »

I honestly think it depends on your parents. If they are likely to raise hell over it and give you a hard time about it forever, it's probably worth waiting until you are out of their house and no longer under their control. If you think they'll take it alright, I advise coming prepared with some books. Pick out some good books that you agree with. Once you're done explaining your beliefs, ask them to read the books. Tell them to ask you any questions, and you will answer them. I don't know what religion you are, but in general I recommend "Paganism: An Introduction to Earth-Centered Religions" by Joyce and River Higgenbotham. It's a good covering of Paganism in general, with some brief sections on the different beliefs and groups within it.

Trust your instincts on this one, and I will pray that it goes well for you.
Witch13
Banned Member

Post by Witch13 »

i cant agree more, my parents would never understand, so i dont see the point in telling them, i just wouldnt be able to talk about it with them.
if you want to share your beliefs and thoughts we are all here.
Being 15 is a hard time, you wouldnt want your parents over your head watching your every step in case you abracadabra something.
Ginger Faith!
Banned Member

Post by Ginger Faith! »

Yea, i was thinking of bringing them some books to show them that i'm not doing anything evil, because my parents are wierdos from europe(:
In any case, im pretty sure i can get away with sneaking out a few more times until im 16, then i can go ahead and leave a little note, and tell them to text me or something!
Haha, that should work.<i>
But, then again, thanks for the advice. I'll go get some books, and do some protection spells.

Blessed Be,
Celestial_marie

im with you

Post by Celestial_marie »

hay im with you my parents dont know anything about it either and im afrade to tell them. i have tried to tell them but every time i bring it up they get all weird and start talking about how i need to go to church more and the fact is i have nothing aginst their religion. but its just not the right path for me i dont know what i can do anymore
Ginger Faith!
Banned Member

Post by Ginger Faith! »

Hey, Celeste, do i know you?
Sorry to be outright, and off topic, but do i?
Hmmmm,
WE BOTH LIVE IN TEXAS!
Finally someone is down here is the boring state.

Blessed Be,
Kaliona Tanwen

Post by Kaliona Tanwen »

The one piece of advice I can honestly give is that while most of us think we can keep secrets from our parents, the reality is, 99% of the time we can't. Mothers, particularly, seem to have an eerie sixth sense about these things.

I learned pretty early on that I can't keep anything from my mother so these days I just tell her stuff (I vividly remember the day I told her I'd decided to start performing burlesque. It was an ikky conversation but fortunately my Mum is pretty cool and we have a good relationship so there was no yelling. She told me she was uncomfortable with it but just wanted me to be safe).

The key is to show your parents that you are an individual of sound judgement. Plan the conversation carefully. Be prepared for them to be angry, sceptical or derisive, because if they are, it will hurt and it's better to be prepared. There's a real risk of them just thinking it's a stupid teenage phase (and they can't be blamed for that, really, I know a lot of people who were interested in wicca as teenagers because it made them seem cool and different). You need to prove to them it isn't a phase. If they do get mad, resist the temptation to get mad right back. Be very very calm and mature. That in itself will carry more weight than all the information you can throw at them.

I personally had this conversation with my mother over the weekend. I explained to her that I've been thinking about this long and hard and that I know that 95% of people out there who claim to be wiccan or pagan are loopy but that I'm not living in a fantasy land and won't be consorting with dangerous people. She didn't burst into joyous song, but because of the way I approached the topic, she was quite accepting.

I'm rambling now, but in a nutshell, keep it simple, answer their questions truthfully and no matter what, keep calm (even if they shout and yell). Good luck with it :)
Ginger Faith!
Banned Member

Post by Ginger Faith! »

That is really good advice Kaliona!
But, i think im going to tell her when i have more knowledge and experience myself.

Blessed Be,
Kaliona Tanwen

Post by Kaliona Tanwen »

That's probably a sensible decision. When you feel more confident and sure of yourself you'll probably find it easier to handle any queires and criticsms. I think I'm really fortunate that my Mum is pretty trusting of my judgement.

x
Ginger Faith!
Banned Member

Post by Ginger Faith! »

That's good(:
My parents would think im crazy and just going through a phase.
I used to show my mom my book of shadows, and she was pretty cool about it.
But, when i asked her if i could DO some of them, she looked at me crazy, and tried to throw my BOS away.
I saved it(:

Blessed Be,
Celestial_marie

Post by Celestial_marie »

hehe no im sorry ginger i dont actually know you but im glad to have met you i live in mission Texas and i agree with you about the whole boreing state thing and dont worry you wherent be ing to straight foward
Ginger Faith!
Banned Member

Post by Ginger Faith! »

Ah, because i know a Celeste.
Hmm,
well. Hopefully(when im older, able to drivee), we can meet up(:
And then we can try some things, help each other learn.
Anywayy, i dont know what else to say in this thread.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Well, if you have questions about anything, ask me.
I'll try to answer as best i can, or you can ask the Mods, they know a lot of stuff(:

Blessed Be,
Witch13
Banned Member

Post by Witch13 »

sixth sense? honestly? i got a tatto on my wrist since the 30th of october and they still dont know.. ITS ON MY WRIST hello!!!!
Ginger Faith!
Banned Member

Post by Ginger Faith! »

WOW WITCHY!
Hahaha, that made me laugh so hard!

Blessed Be,

Return to “Teen Concerns”