Does anyone else find this a little... mean?

Paganism, witchcraft, and Wicca as portrayed on TV, movies, and popular culture. Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, Charmed, Practical Magic, etc. If you know of a good show or movie, you can recommend it here or discuss it with others.
BlackTeddyBear

Does anyone else find this a little... mean?

Post by BlackTeddyBear »

I was watching this show on A&E called Extreme Paranormal. You can follow this link for more info on it:
http://www.aetv.com/extreme-paranormal/
I find the show to be very entertaining, but the basic thing that makes this show different from Ghost Hunters and the other 'ghost hunting' shows is that these guys provoke the ghosts to come out by reminding them of the pain they went through when they were alive.
An example, the episode I watched took place in an insane asylum that was closed down and was known to be 'haunted'. These guys went in there and had one of the guys in a straight jacket trying to anger the ghosts into revealing themselves, which I think is wrong. No, I'm not gonna make a big deal of it and go on some moral crusade, but doesn't it seem a little mean?
I mean seriously. How would you like some humans to come piss you off after you were dead?
NightRose
Banned Member

Post by NightRose »

Personally, I think they're likely to get what they're asking for. :) You notice that these are the same people who curse and jump ten feet in the air the first time they see their own reflections while on their hunts. I'm sure sooner or later they'll get to meet a real ghost or spirit and will think "hmmm, I probably shouldn't have done all those mean things, huh?"

It might be the same show, but I watched one ghost hunting show where they were trying to elicit a response from a spirit in a town that had been covered by water. They kept trying to provoke him and provoke him (one guy was in the water trying to contact him)...and finally, this big wind kicks up, the guy in the water gets pulled underwater and can't see anything, the remaining members of the team are panicking...and I'm sitting on my couch laughing. What did they think was going to happen? The spirit was going to be happy to see them and hug them? Honestly....
Twisted_Pixie

Post by Twisted_Pixie »

Haha i love those shows watching them act all big provoking the spirits and then jumping out of their skins when they hear a door creak...
DinosaurPajamas

Post by DinosaurPajamas »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHplF1Kiu6c

Link to the asylum episode if anyone wants to view it.
Lily Cantodea

Re: Does anyone else find this a little... mean?

Post by Lily Cantodea »

BlackTeddyBear wrote:I was watching this show on A&E called Extreme Paranormal. You can follow this link for more info on it:
http://www.aetv.com/extreme-paranormal/
I find the show to be very entertaining, but the basic thing that makes this show different from Ghost Hunters and the other 'ghost hunting' shows is that these guys provoke the ghosts to come out by reminding them of the pain they went through when they were alive.
An example, the episode I watched took place in an insane asylum that was closed down and was known to be 'haunted'. These guys went in there and had one of the guys in a straight jacket trying to anger the ghosts into revealing themselves, which I think is wrong. No, I'm not gonna make a big deal of it and go on some moral crusade, but doesn't it seem a little mean?
I mean seriously. How would you like some humans to come piss you off after you were dead?
For the record, Ghost Hunters in general doesn't do that. They believe in respecting any entities that might be there. They ask questions, but they don't really like provoking unless they have to. They take a more scientific, professional approach.

Ghost Adventures, on the other hand, provokes all the time.

They're two completely different groups.
Ashkotewagosh

Post by Ashkotewagosh »

i think its wrong, but karmas a bitch and will come back at them three times worse so let them piss off the spirits so i can laugh when one of them gets it thrown back in their face! :D
Lily Cantodea

Post by Lily Cantodea »

Ashkotewagosh wrote:i think its wrong, but karmas a bitch and will come back at them three times worse so let them piss off the spirits so i can laugh when one of them gets it thrown back in their face! :D
And karma just loves it when one laughs at someone else's misfortunes, even if the individual did bring that misfortune upon him/herself.
yea i think the only paranormal show i watch is a haunting but even that show is wrong a lot of the times i guess we need to all get together and creat a real paranormal show not hollywood BS lol
That's honestly a pretty good idea. A few friends and I have been thinking for a while about going on a legend trip after we graduate college and filming it. We've already got several places in mind: Bachelor's Grove Cemetery, Trans-Allegheny, Waverly Hills, Preston Castle, Eastern State, and the Myrtles (if I'm lucky, though, I'll get to go there this summer when I go back down to New Orleans; it's 2 hours outside of New Orleans, though...). We're even saving up money to buy some basic equipment, like EMF detectors and IR cameras. [/quote]
WitchyLady506

Post by WitchyLady506 »

I like to refer to this show as douche bag ghost hunters for a reason. They do go to some interesting places though.
They say only Silver Bullets kill the beast inside.....
Lily Cantodea

Post by Lily Cantodea »

...is it a terrible thing of me to say that, even though they can be complete assholes at times, I still like Ghost Adventures? Not that I condone their behavior, because I certainly don't, but they've gotten some interesting pieces of evidence in the past (see their 2004 documentary - full body apparition caught on tape). I'm a terrible person! :cry:
WitchyLady506

Post by WitchyLady506 »

Lily Cantodea wrote:...is it a terrible thing of me to say that, even though they can be complete assholes at times, I still like Ghost Adventures? Not that I condone their behavior, because I certainly don't, but they've gotten some interesting pieces of evidence in the past (see their 2004 documentary - full body apparition caught on tape). I'm a terrible person! :cry:
The show is entertaining and they do catch things that are quite interesting, however, still douches.
They say only Silver Bullets kill the beast inside.....
Lily Cantodea

Post by Lily Cantodea »

I'll be the first to say that Zac, though hot (IMHO), is the biggest douche of them all. The other two, especially Aaron, are just along for the ride.

Return to “Witchcraft and Wicca in the Media”