Paranormal activity

Paganism, witchcraft, and Wicca as portrayed on TV, movies, and popular culture. Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, Charmed, Practical Magic, etc. If you know of a good show or movie, you can recommend it here or discuss it with others.
ImperfectAngel

Paranormal activity

Post by ImperfectAngel »

So who has seen the movie? What do you think?
AfootFuzzball

Post by AfootFuzzball »

"scariest movie ever" such a lie. I was laughing half of the time.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.---------- Ralph Waldo Emerson

=====Carpe Diem=====
SMushroom

Post by SMushroom »

i liked it.
scared me lol i jumped alot.
Erhalten Sie Einen Geschmack Der Religion Leckt Eine Hexe.
BlackTeddyBear

Post by BlackTeddyBear »

I liked the movie, but while I was in the theater I wasn't really scared except for at the end, and for those who saw it you'll know what I mean. I almost thought it was funny at first.

And then I got home.

I was sitting in my room in the dark trying to sleep, and then my imagination started being a total bitch and I thought I could hear breathing and footsteps and everything else. I was freaking out.

So, point was, that's the only movie that's scared me in a really long time and it took me three nights to be able to sleep with the lights off in my room. Chicken, I know.
Lily Cantodea

Post by Lily Cantodea »

Paranormal Activity is one of my favorites - I like psychological horror movies like that and Blair Witch better than I like slashers like Saw or Final Destination; blood, guts, and gore have no effect on me whatsoever - I'm actually apathetic to it all - but I think that slashers just use gore as a cop-out to make up for lack of plot.

I will be honest with you. I wasn't scared. At all. I didn't jump when everyone else jumped in the theater. I was entertained.

Just for the record - I wish they would've showed the alternate ending in the theaters instead.
sylphaxiom

Post by sylphaxiom »

That movie pretty much scared me shitless the first time I had seen it. Probably because I have known someone who was messed with by a demon and that is pretty much how it manifests. It is some crazy stuff! I bet if I hadn't had personal experiences with demons it probably wouldn't have affected me at all but I have and it did.

It was a really good movie though.
May the Gods be with you, and the hand of Fate be a gentle touch to guide you.
Lily Cantodea

Post by Lily Cantodea »

I've had personal paranormal experiences and PA didn't scare me at all. Either I'm a heartless wretch or I'm just plain difficult to scare.
sylphaxiom

Post by sylphaxiom »

Yea, I'm not going to deny the fact that I'm probably pretty easy to scare, and after watching that movie for a second time, all I can think about is how dumb the guy really is. Most of my paranormal experience has been troubled, benign, or simply confused, but the one run in I had with a truly, and purely evil entity (which yes, that is what I classify a Demon as is a truly evil entity. I'm sure there are other ways to look at them, but I only call it a Demon if it is truly evil.) shook me to my very core. I know I won't mess with or even get near an evil entity...too powerful and too violent.

But I still thought it was an entertaining movie. Thats what it was there for. I think their target audience would be people who don't really understand paranormal entities.....which probably isn't most of us....which explains the lack of interest in the move. haha
May the Gods be with you, and the hand of Fate be a gentle touch to guide you.
Lily Cantodea

Post by Lily Cantodea »

Autopsy? Never heard of that one. The only autopsies I've seen were real ones...still don't know why people are so squeamish when it comes to them though...if it's gory, I tend to just disregard it because slashers tend to have all gore and no plot. At least PA HAD a plot.

PA is for entertainment, yeah. I do believe in the existence of demons/evil entities, just like I believe in benign entities.
Parvati

Post by Parvati »

I am in two minds about this movie, first bit is that many demonic possessions do happen and this movie did educate in a perfect way but the actors were not very good at all. In fact they were downright ordinary.
What I wanted to shout out load to the film was get religious objects and get rid of the Oiuja boards too. The girl was the creator of all this mishap and the man was doing his best to help.
The film, if it had better actors would of been a classic chiller. Saw is just a gore film though not a horror.
Lily Cantodea

Post by Lily Cantodea »

Yes, there were classic signs of possession in the movie.

About the actors themselves - that was the whole POINT for them to be ordinary. It's supposed to be about an ordinary suburban couple who's plagued by demonic activity. That's the basic premise of the whole movie. It wouldn't have been as believable had they chosen a big name from Hollywood. And it was an independent, low-budget film that, like Blair Witch, turned into a phenomenon.

The girl wasn't the creator of it all; it wasn't as if she consciously opened herself up to the demon. The demon itself was the one creating all the trouble. And the guy, I hate to admit it, was an ass about the whole thing. He tried, sure, but he did some very stupid things to "help." The LAST thing you want to do when dealing with possession is to get out a Ouija board and open yourself up to the entity. Common sense would tell you not to do that.

They consider slashers to be the same as horror.

Return to “Witchcraft and Wicca in the Media”