Solitary Witch: The Ultimate Book of Shadows

Paganism, witchcraft, and Wicca as portrayed on TV, movies, and popular culture. Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, Charmed, Practical Magic, etc. If you know of a good show or movie, you can recommend it here or discuss it with others.
SpiritsBeforeMe

Solitary Witch: The Ultimate Book of Shadows

Post by SpiritsBeforeMe »

I'm getting Solitary Witch: The Ultimate Book of Shadows written by Silver Ravenwolf and I was wondering if anyone on here has read it?
If they have any thoughts or reviews of it.
:)
Twisted_Pixie

Post by Twisted_Pixie »

Hi sweety

No i havent read the book, but im not the biggest fan of Silver Ravenwolf.... Let us know how you like it
SpiritsBeforeMe

Post by SpiritsBeforeMe »

Ok, thanks for replying and I will do :)

x

[I love this forum :D ]
Leo*Moon

Post by Leo*Moon »

Hello,

I have a copy of the Ultimate Book of Shadows. I'm not a big fan of Silver Ravenwolf but I remembered it to be a good book so I ordered a copy for myself a few months ago. I think its a great book for people just kind of getting into the practice or people returning to the craft. A must have for the library.
I don't know if you are familiar with the layout of the book at all but its got 5 separate parts with 5 separate tables of contents. There isn't a master TOC which I personally find annoying. However there are markers for each section kind of like an encyclopedia which makes it easier to flip for what you're looking for.

Part 1- Religion and Mystery
Part 2- Objects and Tools
Part 3- Expertise and Proficiency (my favorite)
Part 4- Magick and Enchantment
Part 5- Magick and Real Life

Part 1 covers a good lot of the basics like charges, circle casting, blessings, gods & goddesses, sabbats & esbats, rituals etc.
Part 2 is basically all about the altar.
Part 3 touches on many forms of divination, astrology, astral projection, animals, chakras , herbs, reiki and more.
Part 4 talks about things people don't always want to talk about, such as bindings at "astral nasties". Aside from flat out magick this section also contains faeries, gem stones, charms, talismans and correspondences.
Part 5 would be much better off labeled as Practical Magick as it deals with spells geared toward every day life problems.

I don't know if you've tried searching the title in the forums but I wouldn't be surprised if someone has written a review a while back.

Blessings,
Leo
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool. ~Shakespeare
milkywaydisco

Post by milkywaydisco »

I just got this book too. It was like it was waiting there for me, because I found it at Value Village for 3.99 in almost perfect condition, and when I showed it to my friend, he freaked out telling me he paid almost $40 for his copy. It seems like it is targeted toward mostly teenagers, but from what I've skimmed in so far, she's got a lot of research and supplementary readings that are very helpful. No, the book probably doesn't have all the answers but it's got a LOT in it that I feel will be a good springboard for me as a new witch.
Her writing style may not be my favorite, but it's the info I'm after, and I like that it is as big as a textbook because I am scholarly and like reading textbooks because it makes me feel like I'm still in university, only this time I'm studying something I actually really enjoy.
What I like is that it has a pretty good balance of information, and I will keep it on my bookshelf for me and my room mate to go through at leisure.

I do like what she said in the beginning of the book that magic is not about spells, rituals, etc. but about personal transformation. When I was younger I had a lot of friends who watched the Craft and suddenly started calling themselves Wiccan and casting spells. Are those people "Wiccan" anymore? Nope. Only in it for the "hocus pocus" and while I witnessed some very real things, magick is not about that at all.

Return to “Witchcraft and Wicca in the Media”