Who grows their own ginger?

Love to garden? Me too! Garden talk and photos goes here: Flower gardens, vegetable gardens, organic gardening, natural pest control, houseplants, more.
Daisybeck

Who grows their own ginger?

Post by Daisybeck »

Hi all,

Anyone here grow their own ginger? I'm tired of always buying it at the supermarket and am looking at growing it myself in pots but have heard that it's not the easiest thing to grow. I live in the south east of Australia and we have a pretty topsy turvy mix of freezing cold and furnace hot weather. I keep hearing that ginger is sensitive to temperature and that it takes about 8 months from seed to when you can harvest the root. Anyone who can share some practical experience?

Bec.
Radiance

Post by Radiance »

I envy you for living in a climate where you can even consider growing ginger. Good luck!
Brightest Blessings
Radiance
calico

Post by calico »

I live in the US southwest. I'm in the mountains, so we also have both freezing winters and hot summers. I looked into growing ginger, but decided it wouldn't survive outside, here, for long enough to produce, and would be too much trouble to bring it inside and get it enough light.
midnyt fantasy

Re: Who grows their own ginger?

Post by midnyt fantasy »

i grow my own ginger, what i do is buy the rhizome from the store and just pot em. that is the only way i guess :)
FireQueen

Post by FireQueen »

I used to grow it in Sydney. I planted a rhizome under an outdoor stairway where it was protected from the worst of the frosts, but if you are further south than Sydney then the ground might get too cold during winter for it to thrive.

Best thing to do is just try and see what happens.

Brightest blessings.
No one in the world can alter truth. All we can do is seek it and live it.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Yummm ginger. I have bought the roots in the market, and then wait 'till the little "eyes" of the rhizome kinda start to sprout, then stick 'em en the ground. I have some in a pots but they never bloom. The ones in the ground produce the most beautiful buttery sweet fragrance I have ever encountered, but it did take several years to mature. They do die back in winter, and although we have had freezes here in So Cal. (enuf to kill my favorite plumeria) the ginger always comes back in the spring. Good Luck! BB Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:

Return to “Gardening”