Bibliomancy

For discussion and questions about divination techniques including runes, crystal ball gazing, psychic readings, dowsing, etc. Questions, answers, and talk about Divination.
sheelanagig

Bibliomancy

Post by sheelanagig »

Sometimes I use bibliomancy for guidance when I need a question answering.

Biblomancy is the art of using a sacred book to answer questions you may have, or to guide you if you find it difficult to make a choice.

In the past books like the Bible, the Koran and any important books were used for this type of divination.

The book is balanced on it's spine, and is left to fall open to any page.
Closing your eyes point a finger at any part of the text, then open your eyes and read the chosen paragraph.

Some practitioners also do this if they find a book that has fallen off a shelf without any body seeming to touch it.

Any book that you hold dear or sacred to yourself can be used in this form of divination.
Chaos Shaman
Banned Member

Post by Chaos Shaman »

I do this with any old book. I hate holy books. Mostly the ones from monotheism. I grab a book open at random and read something. I find my copy of The Art of War to be best. Bu then again, its special in a few ways.
Chaos Shaman
Banned Member

Post by Chaos Shaman »

Ohh Whoops missed the last line. All books are sacred to me, some, like The Art of War, more so. Even books I hate are special.
Granamyr

Post by Granamyr »

I personally would get more out of a Jane Austen book than the Christian or Hebrew scriptures but...yo, whatever works. I've never heard of that type of divination. I work better with symbols when I practice. Though I love reading too.
Sunset2

Post by Sunset2 »

I love using bibliomancy. I usually use the bible because that is what I grew up seeing used.

Ive would love to learn how to use other books tho.
ikaba

Re: Bibliomancy

Post by ikaba »

My aunt who is like a devoted Christian seems to use a version of this (which is kind of ironic) but she has like a little container with notes to different sections or like verses in the bible and then she just picks one up and looks up the verse in the bible. It's kind of interesting :) - though interpreting the bible isn't always easy.
AutumnMaidens

Re: Bibliomancy

Post by AutumnMaidens »

You have specific books made just for this they'll be filled with wisdom quotes and inspiring tekst, Ive used those on occasion and own two of them.

Bless
"If you take a copy of the Christian Bible and put it out in the wind and the rain,
soon the paper on which the words are printed will disintegrate and the words will be gone.
Our bible IS the wind and the rain."

Return to “General Divination”