Recommend Reading List

Review and recommend pagan, spiritual, Wicca, & witchcraft books.
MotherSuperior

Recommend Reading List

Post by MotherSuperior »

I had started reading "To Ride a Silver Broom Stick" at the suggestion of a witch at a [somewhat] local metaphysical store. We had been talking for a while back and forth and I asked her "where should I start?"

I've gotten about half-way through the book and find it . . . questionable. There are times I think "well that sounds interesting" or "I can relate to that" but the more I read I feel put off by the whole thing. I'm seriously interested in some form of modern witch craft but I feel like this book is giving me the run-around.

So far there seems to be no introduction to theology, in the least. A few pages were dedicated to listing the names of various regional pantheons but no expansion past that. Furthermore, I feel like the author is talking down to me almost, and there have been a few instances where her writing is completely missleading.

For example, there is a passage that she wrote in a trite, childrens story manner used to describe the bastarization of polytheistic religion to create the Christian Satan. It was . . . it was just completely . . . wrong. All of it. I'm not sure there was an ounce of truth in the story, and she makes vast claims all throughout the book with absolutely no footnotes or biblography--no sources for her figuers or statistics. This is not even mentioning the almost cultish behaviour of promising wealth and good health. If this were the only book I read I think I may look at Paganism as a pyramid scheme.

So, that being said, I'm a little wary of recomendations from that lady. Anyone else have any other book suggestions? Preferably ones that won't make me feel dirty after reading them?
hummingbird3

Post by hummingbird3 »

a wiccan bible by a.j. drew is very theological and has a huge appendix of deities in the back. some of what he says isnt very logical, but overall its good.

earth, air, water, and fire by cunningham is really good too.
yo soy bruja y tu eres mi todo
Witch13
Banned Member

Post by Witch13 »

silver ravenwolf's "to ride a silver broomstick"
brother grimms fairy tales (not exactly what you asked but its pretty inspiring and teaches a lot)
rainysoul

Post by rainysoul »

What type of book are you looking for? Traditional wiccan, more solo, more spell related, native american...have you found a focus?

One book that I really enjoyed is called Book of Shadows by Phyllis Curott. Its not really a "craft" book, but more about her journey and introduction into witchcraft.
MotherSuperior

Post by MotherSuperior »

Just really anything. I've already read Cottage Witchery (Dugan), The Craft (Morrison), Wicca for Life (Buckland), The Witches Bible (Farrar), aformentioned Ravenwolf books and a few others that aren't unpacked yet.

I'm really interested in it all--though truthfully, I haven't found a tradition yet, so maybe something focusing on the different ones availible would be the next step. I'm tired of reading about the "Burning Times."
rainysoul

Post by rainysoul »

The book I'm reading now that I like a lot is called; "Natural Witchery", by Ellen Dugan. It fits a lot with my personal style and feelings. More focused on solo practice, and doing what feels right, instead of learning to memorize a bunch of someone elses spells and what not.
MotherSuperior

Post by MotherSuperior »

Cool, thanks. I'll look for it at the local library next time I get over there.
Witch13
Banned Member

cool

Post by Witch13 »

I checked out Ellen Dugan's books and i found "elements of witchcraft: natural magick for teenagers " most exciting..i will order it today.
"Natural witchery" is also very interesting
rainysoul

Post by rainysoul »

That's great, I hope you like it. I enjoy her style of writing a lot too.
Lark

Post by Lark »

I'm not surprised that you had some issues with Silver Ravenwolf's books. Many of us do. Her information tends to be shallow at best and downright incorrect at worst.

If you are interested in some books that talk less of the mechanics of Wicca and more about the spirituality then here are a few that I would suggest:

"A Witch Alone" by Marian Green
"Devoted To You" by Judy Harrow
"The Heart of Wicca" by Ellen Cannon Reed
"The Philosophy of Wicca" by Amber Laine Fisher
"A World Full of Gods" by John Michael Greer

Sadly I find that many of the popular books fail to deal in depth with the theology of Wicca and therefore leave new Wiccans with the ability to do the tasks like setting up an altar, but without the tools to develop a genuine and informed connection to the Divine which is why we are doing this in the first place.

-Lark-
Elyheim

Post by Elyheim »

Kinda glad I went through and read through some of the older topics and posts. This is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for.

Thanks so much to everyone who recommended books
EmberMoon

Post by EmberMoon »

I've been reading alot of Ravenwolf books and i do find it confusing. some things she says are helpful but i'm not really understanding anything and i need to understand the religion i'm practicing of course.
Teaca

Post by Teaca »

i like to reading Cunningham's books he's really good.
merry meet, merry part, until we meet again blessed be
Sallydreams

Post by Sallydreams »

Teaca wrote:i like to reading Cunningham's books he's really good.
Anything by Scott Cunningham is worth reading, he did "write the book" on wicca. It still bothers me that he's male... but whatever... lol.

And believe it or not, my wiccan "bible" is Wicca and Witchcraft for Dummies by Diane Smith
( http://www.booksamillion.com/product/9780764578342 )

I use the Dummies book as a referrence of if I ever have a random question or idea, or want to know more about something. It has an awesome index and she just writes it out like, "This is the way I do it, this is the way my old teacher does it, and this is how my friend in the coven does it" It's very "lead your own path, here are your own options" which I really liked.
Lark

Post by Lark »

Sallydreams wrote:
Anything by Scott Cunningham is worth reading, he did "write the book" on wicca. It still bothers me that he's male... but whatever... lol.

Why would it bother you that Scott was male? Wicca is not a women's religion, it is a religion which honors the divine in both male and female. And after all, it was Gerald Gardner (another male) who first introduced Wicca to the world, and Ray Buckland (another male) who, along with his wife, brought Wicca to the US. We like our menfolks and value them as representations of the God.

-Lark-

Return to “Book Reviews”