Overturn Proposition 8 - Support Gay Marriage in California

Lesbian, gay, bi-sexual, and transgender discussion and questions.
Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Overturn Proposition 8 - Support Gay Marriage in California

Post by Starwitch »

(Copied from the Feminist Majority Foundation)

Join me in gathering thousands of feminist voices who will work to help overturn Proposition 8 in California. Act now by signing this Feminist Pledge for Love and Equality and forwarding it to friends and family. We don't have a moment to lose.

The California Supreme Court today refused to strike down the mean-spirited and discriminatory Proposition 8 that will hurt loving couples. That means it is up to us.

Plans are already being formulated to overturn Prop 8 and bring the question of same-sex marriage back to the ballot in California. Feminists must be a key partner in this battle. To make sure we do all we can, Feminist Majority Foundation's board member Dolores Huerta and I have joined the board of Equality California, a leader in the fight for marriage equality.

All people should be able to marry who they love. Sign our pledge to help overturn Prop 8. We will keep you informed of how you can help as plans move forward to go back to the ballot box and win this fight for full equality.

And, if you can, please make a contribution today so we can start organizing to mobilize record numbers of young people – the largest supporters of equal marriage – on college campuses across the state. We worked hard in 2008 to defeat Prop 8, but we must do even more. We feminists will not quit until all people are equal under the law.

Sign our Love and Equality Pledge now and forward this message to your friends and family and urge them to also sign.

Sign petition here: http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/o/14 ... p?key=4287
[ShadowPhoenix]

Post by [ShadowPhoenix] »

Interesting post , it brings my hopes up for humans to see others fighting for our rights to be happy...or miserable :lol:
JackRabbitSlims

Post by JackRabbitSlims »

Ahh, I'm just now seeing this post. :)

This whole subject to me, is heartbreaking.

Recently my cousins came over from California to visit with my family and I. They are both gay and were married when prop. 8 was passed. But now that its been revoked, their having to deal with the fact that they WERE married, but as viewed by the state, their not anymore. My cousins are a huge inspiration for me.

Gary is a teacher. He is also an activist for gay rights and an amazing, strong human being. Everyday he has to go to work, and be curtious and helpful to all of the people who voted his civil rights away. He's been spit on for who he is, and he still holds his ground and has love in his heart for the people who have so drastically impacted his life.

Vance, my other cousin, is just the same. He deals with the same grief all the time, and still is a pleasant person.

Their so wonderful. And I feel the people who took their rights away, should be shot.

I hate to see the grief they go through just for being the people they are.

While here, Vance made a great statement that I think represents a lot of the gay community. He said " People think we choose to be gay, and call it a life style. Gay, is just what I AM. My "lifestyle" is just like anyone elses. I go out for dinner occasionally, I do laundry, watch tv, go to work, That is my life style. Its not dependent on who I love."

My friend amalia and I were discussing this. She's what I call an eclectic or confused catholic. She believes in God, but doesn't believe there's planes of existance called heaven and Hell. She's very supportive of gay rights, so we can talk openly about things.

I feel that as much as the government says that Church and Law are kept seperate, that's a total lie. What would be the only reason for people to judge others based on sexuality? It seems to me that if there wasn't something telling them its "morally wrong" they'd be completely fine with it. I'm so sick of our government right now.

Prop. 8 should be PASSED IN EVERY STATE. No one, should tell anyone who to love.

Period.

-Jackrabbit.
.You are Beautiful.
[ShadowPhoenix]

Post by [ShadowPhoenix] »

LOL don't you mean it should be OVERTURNED and NOT passed? :lol: :P
Starwitch Stone

Post by Starwitch Stone »

Thanks for sharing your support on this topic JackRabbit.

Visit Everything Under the Moon for Love Spells, Money Spells, & Wicca Spells.
Kassandra

Prop 8 debate in California

Post by Kassandra »

, I just noticed this post today and made it a sticky. In some senses, the world's eyes are directly, or even indirectly watching the ongoing drama of this debate. For some reason legal actions in California later affect similar legislation in the rest of the United States. And additionally, many legal actions in the States affect similar rulings in other parts of the world.

This is a landmark, historic debate that's still very much alive right now. For those of you who would like a little background, here's a Wiki on Prop 8: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Proposition_8_

And here's an update on what's going on currently: MercuryNews.com Prop8 update

Wishes

Post by Wishes »

I just saw this post but I TOTALLY agree with this. I think it is stupid that this isn't passed right now. I signed it, if it still counts ^-^
Moon_Stone

Post by Moon_Stone »

Prop 8 is a very popular subject in my world. It's an equality issue- but it's also a church issue. I am active in the Courage Campaign -and anyone else who wants to join the fight for equality is more than welcome to join as well. We have such a long way to go though. Baby steps.

Just to set some facts straight:

1. Each state in the United States has its own constitution. All U.S. states agree to additionally abide by the Federal Constitution, while retaining their own individual constitutions as well. Prop 8 was pertaining to a change of the existing California State Constitution (not the federal constitution), and the wording therein.

2. Prop 8 was on the ballot November of 2008.
-A YES on Prop 8 meant that the voter was in favor of banning gay marriage and removing the previously determined Constitutional Right for same-sex individuals to legally marry in California.
In particular, this proposition called for the amendment of California State Constitution to include that a legally recognizable marriage was only a marriage between "a man and a woman" (where it previously did not have that designation; making marriage between two same-sex individuals, 'legal through the omission of a prohibition', essentially.)
-A NO on Prop 8 meant that the voter was voting no change be made to the current State Constitution; no change to the previous court decision, and thereby, no change to the current State Constitution's wording which allowed same-sex couples to marry.

3. According to the Secretary of State's final tally; of 13,402,566 votes, 52.3% voted YES on Proposition 8, and 47.7% voted NO. This decision is being contested in courts, and is expected to reach the US Supreme Court before any decision is rendered. As of now, the Constitution's amendment still stands. It is illegal for same-sex individuals to marry in California.

4. Last I heard, and to the best of my knowledge (but granted, contrary to what is in print now that the constitution has been changed,) this decision did not nullify the existing marriages that took place during the time same-sex marriages were legal.

5. Marriage is an institution of the Church. Civil Unions are an institution of the State. It IS legal for two same-sex persons to have a civil union in California. They would be legally recognized as joined life-partners by the State, and it does entitle both parties to the same legal attachments and rights as a marriage would; the only difference between the two is that the Civil Union, being a State service, is only "particularly" valid in the state where it is issued, whereas a marriage, being a service of the Church, extends throughout all states, countries, jurisdictions, etc. (EXCEPT, mind you, that even when marriage was legal in CA, it would not have been recognized in other states as a male/female marriage would. So- a massive double standard applies here.)

~So, in California, it is not impossible to be permanently joined with the person you love in a civil ceremony and enjoy all the same benefits and liabilities (while you're here) that any reverend/church-married couple would. Still though, bigotry will exist and problems will undoubtedly be encountered... which is why I say we have such a long way to go. Still.

*Ugh.*

~Bright Blessings~
*M

Return to “LGBT Chat and Concerns”