Midsummer

Chat about pagan and Wiccan holidays.
gwenblackbird

Midsummer

Post by gwenblackbird »

So I read on this chart thing that Midsummer is June 19-23, is that true?
is it even a holiday?
still new to this all.
Moon_Stone

Post by Moon_Stone »

It is a holiday, Gwen- it's called Midsummer or Litha, and the reason for the dates being "spread out" is that the exact date varies depending upon the year (those are the dates covering the general area where Litha falls, though Litha itself is just one day). This year is falls on June 21st and it coincides with the Summer Solstice. It is also the longest day of the year.

Litha falls in the middle of the wheel of the year- it, along with all the other Sabbats, is a celebration of the life cycle, basically. The entire wheel is a representation of the life cycle; from birth, growth, fertility, production & harvest; then death and rest. For Wiccans, Litha is a celebration of the time when the Sun God is at his best and strongest. Wiccans decorate their altars and perform magic during this time, as well as perform rituals to honor the God and Goddess.

~BB~
Purple_wind
Banned Member

Post by Purple_wind »

I was born on Summer Solstice! I mostly worship Bast though. She's my mommy ^_^. The calenders sometimes change but I believe summer solstice is always on June 21st. Yes that means I have two horoscopes and two auras.. I'm split in half =D.
Twisted_Pixie

Post by Twisted_Pixie »

Summer solstice is the longest day of the year, so it changes every year... but still falls on around those dates.
JBRaven
Banned Member

Post by JBRaven »

You could ( like my family) celebrate Litha or any Sabbat for the whole season. Starting on the first day and ending at night the day before the next.

Return to “Sabbats and Esbats”