tattoos!

General chit chat and discussions here.
All are welcome!
AzureImpaler

tattoos!

Post by AzureImpaler »

Yes, so, I've decided that I'm getting into tattoo design. I've contemplated it for many years now, and I'm going to see about going to this school to train in art and then the machines and the safety and sterilization processes.

It also goes hand in hand with my first tattoo I desire. :D

Thoughts on tattoos? Thoughts on being a tattoo artist?
Eternity begins, and ends, with the ocean's tides.
RuneGeek

Re: tattoos!

Post by RuneGeek »

AzureImpaler wrote:Thoughts on tattoos? Thoughts on being a tattoo artist?
I'm a fan of tattoos, and therefore certain tattoo artists as well. I have four at the moment... a tribal armband, a Yin-Yang symbol made of two dragons, a regular Yin-Yang symbol surrounded by Celtic knot-work, and a large pentacle in the middle of my upper back. Of course I'm not done... I still have quite a few things I'd like to do (and places where I'd like to do them!)

Everything's done in red and black, except for the pentacle. It's a black outline design right now, though I'm going to get it filled in at some point.

Tattooing is an ancient art, and it was spiritual in many cultures. It is for me too. The two artists that I use are both pagans, and that's important to me.

Best wishes in the pursuit of your goals! I suspect that tattooing is an area that will see continued growth... it seems to go hand in hand with some of the gradual shifts that I believe we're seeing in society.

And without people like you, people like me would just be outta luck!
Moon_Stone

Post by Moon_Stone »

:wink: Runegeek-- and you forgot the most important thing about receiving tattoos, one is never enough! :grin: -They're highly addicting. Quite like potato chips. :P

...Seriously though, I think that's awesome, Azure! :28: Once a patron finds a trustworthy tattoo artist that they are comfortable with, they seldom stray, which will be great for you. And yes, tattoos *are* highly addicting- I have the "need" to get a new one about every year after the last received tattoo. Thus far I only have the two (I denied my "need" for several years in between) -though I have plans to get another one this summer. Even my husband who swore them off for good after his first, now has the burning desire to get marked again. LOL

That leaves you with some decisions once you are ready to start inking. Do you want to work in a pre-existing shop? Do you want to open one with like-minded individuals and run your own place? Do you want to be exclusively tribal/pagan in your ink work or would you prefer to be open to any designs? How about permanent makeup tattooing?

I have yet to encounter a tattoo artist who has a problem with tattooing pagan symbols onto a person, so being exclusively pagan in your art might limit you too much-- at least to start, so I'd recommend you stay as open to anything you're good at doing, as is possible. Another good suggestion is to request of anyone you tattoo (and even the pig skins if you go that route), that you take a photo of the work so you can feature it. Tattoo artists need a portfolio just as any artist or photographer would, so that is a really important part of building a client base. Also, make yourself and/or your business a myspace page as well as a website-- you can never have too much publication. (So long as it remains good publication, that is.)

... Granted, you are probably a ways from the point where you need to consider marketing yourself and your skill, but do be sure to take photos of any work you do that is representative of your skill- you'll need that later. As to ideas for tattoos? Most important thing with that is #1, choose something you're good at. If you stink at portraits but excel at cartoon-type art, don't try to accommodate the customer if you know you're going to leave them with something odd permanently stuck to their body ... and #2, make sure for the time being, you're doing work on things that interest you and that are dear to your heart. When the emotion is there connecting the artist to the work, it makes for some truly beautiful artwork and that's what you're going to want to showcase when you're making the move to being a professional artist.

Let us know how your journey goes! And if you do start a myspace page, tell us- I'm sure nearly everyone here would be happy to join your friends list and leave you commentary on your work. (Posting images of your work is a really good idea- it was what allowed me to select my current tattoo artist after my 1st left the business all together.)

Bright Blessings to you and on your new career path as well!! :grin: :28: :grin:

~MoonStone
AzureImpaler

Post by AzureImpaler »

Thank you, you two! I'm glad to hear your support. And, it's true, it will be a while before I start to look for work actually tattooing, but you have to work up, and I'm currently working on what kind of art I can do well, and practicing to make it as good as it can be. I'm also pricing equipment, training, and learning the proper sterilization methods. Along with giving the customer what they want, not infecting them is equally important. :P
Eternity begins, and ends, with the ocean's tides.
Moon_Stone

Post by Moon_Stone »

azureimpaler wrote:Along with giving the customer what they want, not infecting them is equally important.
LOL Azure, yes- you definitely have a good point there. :wink:

We're looking forward to taking the journey along with you! Please keep us posted on how things are developing!!

Bright Blessings to you~
~MoonStone

Return to “For Everyone”