Runes

Discussion of runes.
Vigdisdotter
Banned Member

Post by Vigdisdotter »

Sobek wrote:historical evidence or no, i still love my blank rune and its meaning.
It's meaning is what YOU make it, since it doesn't have one otherwise.

Wyrd and the hidden or unknown is already represented by Pertho. And Odin's rune is Ansuz.
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

A meaning that is purely personal can be quite powerful as it is really helpful for your own readings and focus. In the end, all the runes, etched or not, are the same pieces of stone or whatever they're made of. You charge them and use them. There isn't anything wrong with creating and using something with your own symbolism in it.
Vigdisdotter
Banned Member

Post by Vigdisdotter »

Sercee wrote:A meaning that is purely personal can be quite powerful as it is really helpful for your own readings and focus.
Sure it can, but it has no place in the teaching of an established system until AFTER the basics are had, and then the student needs to understand the source and the reasoning for it use.

As it stands, there are runes that represent what the blank rune supposedly means, so I find it superfluous myself.
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

Ok, I can see your point.
Shadow_Kitten

Post by Shadow_Kitten »

Vigdisdotter wrote:
Ebony Rose wrote:Gabriel & AnuChild,

If you are interested in runes, perhaps check out

The Book of Runes : A Handbook for the Use of an Anceint Oracle: The Viking Runes with Stones: 10th Anniversary Edition (Hardcover) by Ralph Blum
Dear gods! No. Ralph Blum "channelled" his meaning of the runes, ignoring historical evidence in the process.

What's more, he's the reason why there is a blank rune in modern sets (something for which is no historical evidence) as his original rune sets are cheaply made and prone to breaking. So, being a nice guy, he included a spare., that people could inscribe the broken rune onto it. Someone then decided that there HAD to be mystical significance to it....

Frankly, Blum is one that I would suggest avoiding until such time as your looked at the anthropological evidence as well as reading the rune poems and the the Lore.
I would strongly advise you not to read ANY of Ralph Blum's books. Especially that one. The Blank Rune does NOT exist.

http://www.sunnyway.com/runes/ is a GREAT website!

I wouldn't read the work of any author who mentions the blank rune. That's how you can tell the difference between a novice & an expert.

Return to “Runes”