First time poster.... (literary help requested)

General chit chat and discussions here.
All are welcome!
lek

Post by lek »

Wow, you guys are giving me a lot of mental food to go through. I'm getting the feeling that Wicca is a very diverse faith....there are underlying facts and beliefs that involve all branches of Wicca, but it seems a religion that offers the practioner a lot of flexibility.

I'm wondering, is there one....I don't know if you'd call it, denomination, but it's the only word that comes to mind....of Wicca that could be said to be "mainstream"? One branch/type/denomination that a majority of folks follow?

What I'm hearing so far, seems to suggest similarity to Christainity. Within Christainity, there's many denominations, where they may differ in the details, but the underlying facts are the same. Is this somewhat similar with Wicca?

I'm working on a couple other questions...not quite sure what to ask, or how to ask it...but I'll be around. Also, though the future novel I'm working on is only 29 pages long, and I'm not even sure how it's going to play through yet, I can work on a premise, sort of a brief summary and if you all like I can post it.

Thanks again everyone!
BlackenedRose*

Post by BlackenedRose* »

That would be so cool lek! Sorry about the email - written a good 10 paragraphs and then oops! clicked the back button on my mouse and I LOST IT ALL!!!
lek

Post by lek »

BlackenedRose wrote:That would be so cool lek! Sorry about the email - written a good 10 paragraphs and then oops! clicked the back button on my mouse and I LOST IT ALL!!!

hey no prob. I'm getting some of the info I was looking for anyways. but, feel free to post some anything else you think would be important to know.
[scifichick]

Post by [scifichick] »

lek wrote:Also, though the future novel I'm working on is only 29 pages long, and I'm not even sure how it's going to play through yet, I can work on a premise, sort of a brief summary and if you all like I can post it.
Lek, are you going to post it? Do you have anything written in print or online? Hey, do you write for scifi.com? You know they have the short story section. Just curious...
Only in silence the word,/ only in dark the light,/ only in dying life:/ bright the hawk's flight/ on the empty sky. --Le Guin
lek

Post by lek »

Sorry I haven't been posting in a while. I've been way too busy writing. I hit page 140 and stumbled, it was a sort of important part (potentially) and I had to think it through several hundred times :lol: It's also getting close to postseason baseball you see, and with my Yankees in the thick of it (they clinched the East Saturday) that's been another thing occupying my time, lol

I'm debating whether or not to post an opening exerpt from the first chapter, if you're all interested, I could do that. Let me know, :)

lek
Wolf*

Post by Wolf* »

yes! I would love to see it :)
---Wolf---

"And a godlike man--a man who is pure force--inaccessible to any compromise--is called a hero."
[scifichick]

Post by [scifichick] »

I would love to see it! :D
Only in silence the word,/ only in dark the light,/ only in dying life:/ bright the hawk's flight/ on the empty sky. --Le Guin
lek

Post by lek »

Well here we go then! I'll post an exerpt from the first chapter, the first 10 pages or so. Bear in mind, it's rough, I haven't polished it up or checked grammer yet....so, be gentle;) Also be warned, this snipet is rated R for some strong language and violence LOL

begin exerpt

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
removed temporarily by lek
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

end expert

lek
Lunar Sky

Post by Lunar Sky »

Nice. :D Can I reccomend a couple of fiction books that I've read recently, if you can get hold of them they might help inspire you and illustrate a different approach to writing a supernatural ficative tale.

The books are 'Dime Store Magic' and 'Industrial Magic' both are written by the increadibly talented Kelley Armstrong. I loved these books so much, not just because I'm Wiccan but because they're so clever and witty and fun (while also having an element of danger too). One point to note though, the main character (Paige Winterbourne) though a witch isn't a wiccan and there is a distinction made in the novel (that witches have magical powers but don't follow the religion and vice versa) I must say there's an hillarious chapter in the first book where a group of stereotypical wiccans turn up in Paige's backyard skyclad and start doing a cleansing ritual for her - not only that but they want her to join in, much to the amusement of Paige's Sorceror friend, Cortez.

Okay, I've said too much, I just love these books and thought they might be useful if you want a different spin on writing a supernatural novel.

BTW, love the exerpt
Wolf*

Post by Wolf* »

:shock: I LOVE IT!!!!

And to top it off you have werewolves in it!!!! :D

I must buy a copy of this if/when you get it published!
---Wolf---

"And a godlike man--a man who is pure force--inaccessible to any compromise--is called a hero."
lek

Post by lek »

Lunar Sky,

Thank you much :) It's nice to have one's work appreciated, and I'll definitely have to check out those books you mentioned. I'm always looking for a good read.

lek
lek

Post by lek »

Wolf,

:lol: thanks man....I kind of like the werewolves I've created....I kind of shy away from werewolves that look just like regular wolves, or even bipedal werewolves...now something that's built like a bear and is as tall as a horse, that you couldn't miss. LOL

The story actually takes off pretty good from there, and these werewolves do show up again later on....but I'll say no more for now. ;)

Thanks again for your kind words.

lek

Return to “For Everyone”