Super easy way to make clay!

Make your own oils, incense, dream pillows, teas, aromatics, magickally charged bath salts, candles, soap, yummy pagan holiday treats, and more!
Ginger Faith!
Banned Member

Post by Ginger Faith! »

Can I just place the clay anywhere to dry?

And, i have the same question as Butterfly, Is the clay, after it dries, sturdy enough to grind herbs[motar&&pestle, i mean]?

Oh, and:
Thank you for posting this!
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

The mortar is, but the pestle is not (Mine broke in half the first time I tried, but the mortar worked really well. I suggest finding a pestle shaped stone to go with the mortar.)

The clay can dry anywhere, different places will take longer (don't dry it in the bathroom, the steam will make it all sticky.) I like to dry mine, personally, outside during a really hot, bright day, and I bring them in at night (we have fog here at night). Indoors, your personal room or the kitchen are all dry enough places for the clay to dry quickly.
WatchfulEyeTheButterfly

Post by WatchfulEyeTheButterfly »

Dumb question, which part is the mortar and which is the pestle?
reikihealer83

Post by reikihealer83 »

WatchfulEyeTheButterfly wrote:Dumb question, which part is the mortar and which is the pestle?
Not a dumb question at all the mortar is what you use to grind the herbs up the pestle is the lower part that looks like a bowl as far as I remember.
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

The mortar is the bowl and the pestle is the stick.
reikihealer83

Post by reikihealer83 »

wow, I am a bad herbalist lol
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

Its okay, I had to look it up on wikipedia ;P
WatchfulEyeTheButterfly

Did you paint the mortar? Would any of it break off into your herbs?
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

If you paint the inside, the paint will break off in the herbs. If you leave the inside unpainted, the herbs grind up real nice. Painting the outside won't have any effect. (just a pretty one :D )
WatchfulEyeTheButterfly

Okay, thanks, I know some clay can be wore down with rocks so I thought I'd ask. :)
Ravencry

Post by Ravencry »

For some reason, the grainy texture of this clay works well with stones. I tested using the stone lightly in the mortar and it did the job well. You just have to make sure that you have a smooth surface on the inside.
WatchfulEyeTheButterfly

Okay, thanks! :D
SecretSilence

Re: Super easy way to make clay!

Post by SecretSilence »

Wow, just what what I was looking for! It's really cool that you can make clay out of only flour and salt. How durable is it once dried? I'm guessing if you tried to use it to make jewelry it would just break into pieces pretty soon, lol. Anyone have a clay recipe that will be durable enough to make beads for a charm bracelet or something? I might have to buy actual clay to to do that, I suppose. But in the mean time, I'm definitely going to be trying this recipe for other stuff. Thanks for posting!
SecretSilence

Post by SecretSilence »

Actually, I just found this alternate recipe to the one Ravencry gave.
To make this clay recipe you will need 4 cups of all-purpose flour, 1 cup of salt, 1 ½ cups of water, a large heavy bowl, a wooden spoon, and a nonstick baking sheet.

Combine all ingredients, and work with the clay until it develops a desirable consistency. It can be stored in airtight containers until you are ready to use it. When you are ready to bake finished pieces, place them on a nonstick baking sheet in a 350-degree oven for approximately one hour, depending on their size. When they begin to develop a light brown tint, they are ready to come out of the oven. Allow them to cool completely on a wire rack before painting or decorating.

You can make beads for jewelry by rolling small pieces of clay into balls and inserting a needle. Insert the needle into the hole from both sides to make sure it's completely open. Make the hole larger than necessary because it will expand and could possibly close up during the baking process. If it does, while the dough is still warm, insert the needle to reopen it.
More can be found on this website: http://www.essortment.com/yourself-make-clay-52678.html.
Obviously, I haven't tried it yet, but if I do, I'll post more information about whether it worked or not.
SpiritualPagan

Post by SpiritualPagan »

Loved it! I am letting my mini Mortal and Pestle and my altar pentacle dry, then I'm going to draw the pentagram on the altar pentacle. Thanks for sharing! Really loved this!

Return to “Kitchen Magick & Witch Crafts”