Marigolds

Discussion of nature and nature spirits and dragons.
sheelanagig

Marigolds

Post by sheelanagig »

Common Marigold

Botanical Name: Calendula officinalis
Latin: Chrysanthemum segetum
Family: Asteraceae / Compositae

Also known as:

Bigold, Boodle, Buddle, Caltha officinalis, Corn Marigold, Fiore d'ogni mese, garden marigold, Golds, holigold, Mary bud, Marygold, Mary Gowles, Oculus Christi, Poor Man's Saffron Pot Marigold,
Solis Sponsa, Ruddles, Ruddes, Russian penicillin, Yellow Ox-eye.

Description:

It grows to a height of 30 - 60 cms. It is an annual plant and it has pale green long hairy leaves.
Marigolds have bright yellow /orange flowers which normally flower from June to October.
All parts of this plant are highly scented to attract bees and hover flies, and I have found slugs love to eat my marigolds.
The petals have a spicy flavor and the leaves leave a bitter aftertaste.
The plant is known for weather prediction, because the flowers close when rain is coming.

Properties:
• A useful remedy for bruises.
• A wash to soothe inflamed eyes or conjunctivitis.
• An aid to healing cold sores.
• An antiseptic remedy for mouth and throat infections, gingivitis and mouth ulcers
• An effective aid to healing minor first degree burns, such as sunburn.
• An excellent treatment for varicose veins and ulcers.
• An infusion of the petals can be used as a rinse to lighten and brighten hair
• Antibacterial properties which fight infection and promote healthy tissue growth.
• Antimicrobial (capable of destroying or inhibiting the growth of micro-organisms)
• As a treatment for night sweats, fever, spasms
• Astringent (helps stops bleeding)
• Clears the lymphatic system, treats inflamed lymph nodes and strengthens the immune system.
• Diuretic and detoxifying
• Healing wounds
• Helps delayed sparse or painful menstruation
• Helps the lymphatic and immune system.
• Helps to soothe bee, wasp and insect stings.
• Ideal of healing cuts, scrapes, lacerations, surgical wounds and scars, small infected wounds, animal bites and scratches.
• Improves the circulation.
• It is safe for infants and will cure nappy rash and cradle cap
• It is said that Marigold massage oil, it will help clear cellulite
• It reduces fevers, swollen glands and pelvic inflammatory disease.
• It relieves liver, gall bladder, gastric and digestive problems such as colitis, diverticulitis and hepatitis.
• It's a good companion plant as it discourages pests in the garden.
• Marigold has been known to be effective when used to help Acne, shingles, chickenpox, dermatitis, eczema sores, impetigo spots and other systemic fungal, bacterial and viral conditions.
• Reduces swelling and irritation.
• Ringworm and Candida
• Soothes toothache.
Scientific research has shown that an essence of the common Marigold flower can help suppress the growth of human immunodeficiency virus type I (HIV-I). Research is still continuing in this field.

History:

Sacred flower of the Ancient Aztecs, Druids, Indian, Arabic, Greek, and Roman cultures.
Marigolds have been widely used in foods, medication and magic for many centuries all around the world.

In the 12th century, Reinald Macer (a medieval cistercian monk ) concluded that there would be an improvement in your eyesight just by looking at the plant.
It was also used as a treatment for smallpox and measles, in fact so much was grown in the Soviet Union that it became known as Russian penicillin.

The name Calendula stems from the Latin kalendae, meaning first day of the month, presumably because pot marigolds are in bloom at the start of most months of the year as the Latin word Calendulae means "throughout the months". Although the old Saxon name "'ymbglidegold', means 'it turns with the sun'. They were also called Mary buds and associated with the Virgin Mary.
It’s a symbol of love, heat and sexuality, aligned to the sun.
This flower symbolises constancy and endurance in love, and is associated with the mother Goddess.
In the middle ages Marigolds symbolised jealousy.
Marigolds in a vase, renews energy of everyone in the same room as the vase.
In the East, garlands of brightly coloured Marigolds have been, and still are, frequently used in festivals.
It is also said that if you pick a bunch of marigolds at dawn you risk turning into an alcoholic.
Marigolds picked at noon when the sun is hottest will bring strength and comfort to the heart.
In folklore it was aligned to the sparks given off from lightening in a thunderstorm. It was said that if the flowers are not open before nine in the morning, then there will be a thunderstorm by the end of the day.
In the past, Calendula officinalis was used to colour cheese yellow (rather that than some of the chemicals used today!) It was called "poor man's saffron".
It was said that if you wore marigold flowers, you would be able to tell who had stolen from you.
Marigolds are one of the herbs believed to strip a witch of her will.
Marigold was widely used in both the American Civil War and the First World War. It was used to treat wounds and to prevent wounds from becoming infected, the Marigold flowers were either made into a poultice or an infused oil for application on the wound. It was said to heal wounds quickly.

Magical properties

Element: Fire
Planet: Sun
Powers: Protection, Prophetic Dreams, Business and Legal Matters, Psychic Powers, Consecration, Inner Vision, Love, Peace, Truthfulness, Encourage Wealth and Riches, Keeps Wondering Spirits Away, Blessing, Seeing Magical Creatures.
Deities : Mary (Christian Goddess), Xochiquetzal (Aztec Goddess)

Ritual Uses:•

Marigolds are used to make protective wreaths or magical hoops.
• Marigold blossoms symbolize the Goddess and they can be part of the altar decoration for any Goddess ritual.
• Marigold is used to communicate with the fairy realms and also used in charms to aid in clairvoyance.
• The Druids believed that Marigold water made from the blossoms, then rubbed on the eyelids helped one to see faeries.
• Touching the petals with your bare foot will allow you to understand the language of the birds.
• To dream of marigold flowers is supposed to presage coming wealth.
• If you place Marigold in your mattress, you will have prophetic dreams... and if you place it under your mattress it will make whatever you dream come true.
• Sprinkling the petals under your bed will protect you whilst you sleep and give your prophetic dreams.
• Use in pillows to dream of how to heal someone and to increase psychic and health awareness.
• Add marigold petals to your bath to win the respect and admiration of your family, friends and peers.
• Since the Marigold embodies the sun, it can make a person more attractive and confident.
• String garlands of marigold around the outside doors to stop evil from entering the house.
• Marigold is also an herb of purification and is often cast around ritual circles.
• Marigold can be used as a charm for attraction.
• A fresh Marigold flower can be worn to court for a favorable outcome of a trial, either carry the bloom or use it in the making of a success amulet or sachet.
• Plant marigold to bring joy to the dead (including your dead relatives, family, and friends).
• To bless the souls of the departed, plant Marigold on the grave.
• Use in beverages for fire rituals, solar festivals, or Summerland (death) rituals.

WARNING:

Prolonged contact with marigolds may cause contact dermatitis (itching, sting, burning, reddened or blistered skin) or it may sensitize you to other allergens.
Pregnant women should seek medical advice before using Marigold.

© Sheelanagig
Shaman of Bliss
Banned Member

Post by Shaman of Bliss »

I've noticed your articles like this. Do you think maybe they would work well in the herbology section? I think of the entire forum as a learning tool, not just the Witchcraft School section. :)
sheelanagig

Post by sheelanagig »

Hi Shaman of Bliss,

I did start to post my herbology topics in the herb section, but I was asked by witch13 to put them in his witchcraft school forum. ::coolglasses::
I could post my topics in both forums but that might annoy others :shock:

Perhaps we need a poll on this LOL Image
Witch13
Banned Member

Post by Witch13 »

True i asked Sheelanagig to help me in the witchcraft school by posting info on some common herbs and flowers so people here can find magic in their garden...
Shaman of Bliss
Banned Member

Post by Shaman of Bliss »

Well I'm fine with it. I just remembered when i was hear I overdosed a little on herbal info. I posted like ten threads in the herbology section.

It was fun ^_^
Stephanie Mae

Post by Stephanie Mae »

Calendula may also be used as a powerful ward to protect the thresholds of your home.

Return to “Nature - Plants, Animals, Faeries, Dragons”