Athames of Steel or Wood??

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Mannun

Athames of Steel or Wood??

Post by Mannun »

Traditionally one uses an Athame in a circle and sometimes a sword even. Some say that no steel weapons should be within the circle as it intimidates other worldly beings invited, amongst many other reasons. Some have opted to create wooden Athames or use wands of a sorts. What do you think??
Pirranth

Post by Pirranth »

My first athame was wood, simply because I do not have any blacksmithing skills. But I did take an interesting angle with mine, I started by breaking a few rocks, until I had enough sharp edges that I could actually use them to carve the wood with, sort of making it with tools I had made myself. It was a good athame, I think I'll go dig it out of my box.

A few years later, I started use with a metal pole, virtually a staff. It works well.
watershield
Banned Member

Post by watershield »

First I don't see how any blade is going to intimidate a spirit.
An athame has a role more than just a reprisentation of the male aspect of duality. In ritual little bits of this or that are being cut for offerings. I don't believe a wooden athame has the edge to cut Rowen twigs or bits of wool cloth or leather.
Not everyone has a boline and it's quite common for the athame to be used.

I have heard of bone athame which can hold an edge and are easily hand made
The mind is a window to the universe, but for many the window is closed
Truth is unique, it seldom has meaning for anyone other than the one who speaks it.
My opinion is my own. I am willing to share it, though you are not required to accept it.
juliaki

Post by juliaki »

This is one of those big ol' it depends.

In some traditions, the blade must be forged metal. If you are not part of a tradition that has this requirement and explains the lore behind it, I personally don't see a reason why you would need to have a forged blade for an athame. (It would be a personal choice.)

Many of those traditions that require the forged blade are also pretty strict that you do not do any cutting with the blade, but again, unless you're explained the lore behind that, I wouldn't see any reason why you would feel confined to not using the blade for cutting. (Again, personal choice.)

There are certain spirits that have "allergy" to iron, and to foster alliances with them while carrying any sort of iron or steel working blade would be seen as offensive. For those times, a stone blade (for instance, flint or obsidian), bone blade, shell blade, or wood blade could be used if needed.

Most people don't actually have need to carry an athame. For me, I worked with one for my first year of practice and then did not use one for the next decade and change (until such time as certain practices within the coven where I was initiating required obtaining a blade).
Makbawehuh
Banned Member

Post by Makbawehuh »

It depends on my purpose, though if I'm going to have a blade, I prefer forged steel. If I want or need a wand, I have wands too.

And it's just a matter of personal choice. I'm fond of sharp pointies.
~St. Makupuff the Awesome~

"The human race will begin solving it's problems on the day that it ceases taking itself so seriously." – Malaclypse the Younger

The Hell Law says that Hell is reserved exclusively for them that believe in it.
Further, the lowest Rung in Hell is reserved for them that believe in it on the supposition that they'll go there if they don't.

-Holy Book of Truth; The Gospel According to Fred, 3:1 (Principia Discordia)
Orion

Post by Orion »

Forged steel has gone through fire in its making, especially if you are the one who worked the metal. Though it is a matter of symbolism and how it connects things for you. That is how I think of mine athame. The steel was a gift from the man who taught me a bit about blacksmithing. The handle is mahogany used from what was left of flooring we placed ourselves in my home.
It has served well enough when I have needed it.
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as judge in the field of truth and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the Gods." -Einstein

There are always facts, the best most of us can do is try to continuously adjust our opinions to become closer to those facts. For that, there is Science and Philosophy. One to argue facts and one to argue opinions. The result: The big bang is some sort of sexual innuendo resulting from your subconscious.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”