self-initiation

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
juliaki

Post by juliaki »

I did a dedication rite by myself back in 1994. Almost a decade later to the day, I went through a dedication rite within a coven. Then, a few years beyond that, I went through an initiation into the coven. All three rites were very meaningful for me, but each one was incredibly distinct.
[WitchMomma]

Post by [WitchMomma] »

watershield wrote:I am also of the view that you can not self dedicate to wicca.
You might to your patron God/Goddess.

Wicca is a legally recignised religion. It has an initiation phase where one learns the specific traditions of the order and then becomes a member of a coven. Wiccea is a title that is earned not assumed.

I know, lots of people say they are wiccians, but in fact they are pagans who share some of the ideas of wicca as they have come to know it. Unless they have been in a coven they can never learn the inner workings and rituals.
Hi Watershield, I have to respectfully disagree that you can not self-dedicate to Wicca. I am dedicated to Wicca.

I was baptised Christian and therefore I was assumed Christian though I never choose that path, it was choosen for me. A dedication ceremony doesn't make you anything - your personal choice and dedication makes you who you are.

Although Wicca is a recognized religion, unless you choose to become a part of a coven it is not manditory to be dedicated. I am a solitary practitioner and am absolutely Wiccan and have never been formally dedicated.

I will perform a self dedication when I feel I am ready. I have been studying for years and still will continue to learn and grow, so who knows if I will ever feel quite ready. I don't think that for that reason I can not call myself Wiccan.

Hope what I am saying makes sense. Each person has their own take on things and this is mine. Hope everyone understands it is only my belief and opinion.

Zero - I think if you are dedicated to something and it is in your heart you should go for it. It sounds as if your pretty new to it, so take your time and it will come to you.

You can just use some incense and and candles you are drawn too. Anything that makes you feel at one with your beliefs. Write yourself some words that explains what you are dedicated to and what it is you believe.

Ready yourself and read you words and do what feels right to you! Best of luck.
Zero_TheBenevolent

Post by Zero_TheBenevolent »

thank you, witchmomma. i don't believe i am ready to dedicate myself yet. i believe the book i read, "The Complete Idiots Guide To Wicca and Witchcraft", isn't exactly the best for newbies, at least on their self-dedication info. so i wouldn't recommend it.

i have quite a while to go before i find myself ready for dedication.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”