Stonehenge?

Talk about anything you want to here.
Gaia

Stonehenge?

Post by Gaia »

Hi, sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place, but, I was curious about Stonehenge. I'm doing a report on it at my school because I heard that it had supposed Pagan religion involved and it interested me. I was wondering, does anyone have any information or facts involving any connections it to Paganism and such? I'd be very grateful :) .
hedge*

Post by hedge* »

Hi Gaia
Exact dating of Stonehenge and the reasons behind it being built is still unknown to this day. Many have speculated with theories but this is all it is - theories.
It is suggested (and agreed by a few experts) that the construction started around 3,000 BC but wasn't complete for thousands of years, different bits being added at different times and by different peoples.
It has been suggested that it was some sort of astronomical calender, seems a good suggestion bearing in mind the sun rises exactly through the heel stone on the summer solstice and aligns with other lunar happenings throughout the year as well. It has been called a temple for worship which also seems a good suggestion considering it's magnitude and the feat and effort involved in its construction.
The only definite connection of the henge to paganism is the fact that it is visited and revered by many neo pagans of today.
The stones are positioned right at the centre of the network of ley lines in the British Isles and there is an awesome energy about the place, as you'd expect.

read more....

What a fascinating report to do for school - my school was never that interesting!
Shaman of Bliss
Banned Member

Post by Shaman of Bliss »

I watched a program on TV, they recreated stonehenge a little while away from the original, positioned it so that the sun would rise up the heel stone, etc. The less famous woodhenge is located up a small rive that runs near the stonehenge. Some people theorize that woodhenge was used to celebrate life by the upperclass. While stonehenge was used to conmend souls to the afterlife. There was a single part of stonehenge, that was infact made of wood, two pillars and an piece that ran along the top. They believe this was a link to the life, involved in death. The river was probably used to transport the dead etc.

They also believe the various outter rings to stonehenge may have represented different classes of people. The noblemen being in the center, and the peasents etc barely able to see the people within the circle of stone. Theirs a lot of theories etc. Ill see if I can find a link to the TV program later, for more info, cause I didn't do the best job of trying to remember it all.

Also a main part of the program was proving that people could actual move the stones into their positions using basic tools, Levers etc. Which they did prove.
The Mystic Pilgrim

Post by The Mystic Pilgrim »

That was a very good program, Sham
Gaia

Post by Gaia »

Wow, I never knew those things about Stonehenge. This projects going to be funner than I thought it was going to be :D . I've always wondered what it's true purpose was . . . of course, due to the lack of knowledge, people are forced to make their own assumptions.
Shaman of Bliss
Banned Member

Post by Shaman of Bliss »

Well be sure to explain that there are many theories and perhaps try to elaborate on one, two, or maybe three. Without over loading the reader with just knowledge. Don't forget to give it a mystic and mysterious quality, tis what Stonehenge is all about...

Return to “Member's Rants and Ramblings”