The Witches Encycopedia.

Paganism, witchcraft, and Wicca as portrayed on TV, movies, and popular culture. Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, Charmed, Practical Magic, etc. If you know of a good show or movie, you can recommend it here or discuss it with others.
Witch1693

The Witches Encycopedia.

Post by Witch1693 »

there are 2 separate books that are like 30 dollars each, one is everthing pagan, The witches Encyclopedia, and one with 5000 spells. they are great they each have like 2000 pages.
HuntinOwl

Re: The Witches Encycopedia.

Post by HuntinOwl »

Witch1693 wrote:there are 2 separate books that are like 30 dollars each, one is everthing pagan, The witches Encyclopedia, and one with 5000 spells. they are great they each have like 2000 pages.
Who wrote them?
And what are the names of the book?
Eretik

Post by Eretik »

The Element Encyclopaedia of 5000 Spells is by Judika Illes.It's a good read and handy reference tool.I don't know about the other one mentioned, but Element brings out lots of books yearly.I'll see if I can get a reference for others of their books.
The Mystic Pilgrim

Post by The Mystic Pilgrim »

What we really need is a comprehensive witchcraft encyclopedia site. Something that one can go to and get a mountain of information without having to line the pockets of the publishing companies... Sort of a wikipedia for witches.
wiccachicken
Banned Member

Post by wiccachicken »

I have the Encyclopedia of 5,000 Spells. It's very good. Great to just flick through. It contains some very old spells which she doesn't recommend using as you need like really disgusting stuff. But some of the spells are quite new and are very good.

I recommend you buy it....it'll stand out loud and proud on your shelf :D
juliaki

Post by juliaki »

The Mystic Pilgrim wrote:What we really need is a comprehensive witchcraft encyclopedia site. Something that one can go to and get a mountain of information without having to line the pockets of the publishing companies... Sort of a wikipedia for witches.

There are a couple of them out there, but few people are willing to support them by adding information.

Speaking as someone who has been a writer and editor for a number of years, I'm not willing to starve to death and live on the streets just so someone can get all the stuff they want for free. A lot of other writers feel the same way, and many have talked about pulling their books from the shelves because of the treatment they get from the people out there who want something for nothing in the pagan world.
Eretik

Post by Eretik »

A friend of mine has it too.I thoroughly enjoyed reading from it and dipping in to it.I recommend it.You could spend lots of money on several books and not get the amount of information it contains.It is a worthwhile investment.I'll go see about that reference now.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/element-encyclo ... TW8B5RF2K4

If you check on Ebay and other sites you may find good condition second hand copies,much cheaper.The authors are well known writers,respected in their fields,as far as I can tell.I know of the writer of the Chinese astrology book, she is very good.
The Mystic Pilgrim

Post by The Mystic Pilgrim »

I understand what you're saying, juliaki; and, to some extent, I agree with it. I'm a software engineer by trade. So, it would be like someone asking me to pour through 250,000 lines of code for free; but here's where I completely disagree...

Spirituality and spiritual thought is the property of everyone. We're not scientologists (sorry about the spelling, I'm only 1/2 awake yet). So, our religion should not be about making money, nor should it be accessable to only those who can afford it. One way or another, paganism and witchcraft have done something to benefit all of ours lives. So, wouldn't we want to share that love and that joy with anyone who wants it, regardless of their socio-economic status?

But that's just my opinion.
sunstoneleo

Post by sunstoneleo »

I know exactly what you are talking about. We have those books at Barnes and Noble.
Eretik

Post by Eretik »

I intend to get my own copy of the 5000 spells.Encyclopedic books are good for general information and so handy for reference too.I balk at the prices though sometimes.Hooray for e -bay,lol.again.Knowledge can be expensive..Especially when you have a shipload of kids/grandkids and animals,like me.
sunstoneleo

Post by sunstoneleo »

Yeah, I guess books can be expensive sometimes..... I guess I should be greatfull that I get a discount on them. But they are still expensive!

Return to “Witchcraft and Wicca in the Media”