Smells from dream

Dreams, dream interpretation, sleep paralysis, night terrors, hearing voices, vibrations, etc.
Szette

Smells from dream

Post by Szette »

I had a dream that my x was cheating with this other female. In my dream I could see everything that was going on, and when I woke I could still smell the perfume she was wearing. I've never had a dream that was so vivid, and most definately never had a smell linger enough for me to remeber it. I sometimes think my dreams are just dreams, but then I have some dreams that just seem so real, and different than the normal ones. Since I'm not with him anymore, these dreams of him cheating have gone away, I used to have them atleast 1 to 2 times a week for about a year. Anyone know why I would smell perfume that strongly when I woke up? Was it all just adream or is their some significance to being able to smell it that way??
Blessed Be,
Szette
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

It's really the same basic concept as when you get hurt in a dream and wake up still feeling the pain. It's about perception, and within the dream, there is no questioning that the dream is the reality. Everything percieved in a dream no matter how surreal or crazy, is real in that world. Only when we wake up do we realise it's a dream(with the exception of lucid dreaming, which appears to not be the case). I wouldn't attribute the smell lingering as anything because thats just how I work. But you said this dream is very distinct from your own dreams so that would lead me to believe that the lingering smell maintains significance.

What is the object of the smell? I know it was a womans perfume, but something tells me there is much more to it than that.
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

Perhaps that perfume was there all along, and your dream made you sensitive to it? I agree with sobek that your dream, since it was a *special* dream has significance.

Further, I find that when I have seriously important dreams, I get more senses than I do when it's just my brain airing out old laundry.

For example, my psychic dreams are always in vivid color, and my normal dreams are duller or even black and white. Also, my psychic dreams frequently have scents where as my normal dreams do not.

As always, these things are Your Mileage May Vary, but in this case, my tendencies are aligned with yours.

Return to “Dreaming and Sleep”