birthcharts

General questions and conversations about astrology.
saianalyd

birthcharts

Post by saianalyd »

so in school we were asked to find a baby picture for the yearbook. when i went to my baby book i found an astrological birthchart that basically described my personality wit incredible accuracy. and of courese that got me very curious. my question is how do birthcharts work and how does one make them?
-lydia
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

While Chris is certainly the expert here, I do know enough about astrology to be dangerous. :-)

A birth chart is a snapshot of the sky at the time of your birth. The usual kind is called a Placidius chart: it is usually round and is divided into 12 sections. It is a circular flat image with you in the center. That round bit in the center is actually the earth. Imagine that someone has taken a slice of the solar system that starts from the center of the earth, and radiates outward to encompass the piece of Universe that we care about. That's what a birth chart is, roughly.

The horizon of the place where you were born is that line that runs through the center of the chart. That's what we call the AC, or the Ascendant. That's the beginning of the chart, or the first degree of Aries.

Over the course of thousands of years, people have noticed that certain celestial bodies are associated with certain ways of being; originally based on the Gods they are named after. They also divided the sky into discrete sections, called houses that generally indicate the kinds of things that the planets are talking about.

People look at that map, see how the various ways of being and those places pointing to the areas of life that they represent. This, very basically is how a chart is interpreted.

For more information, look at http://www.astrology.com/aboutastrology ... hartwheel/ for more data on those places. There are other links on the same site that will tell you some of the basics on how those factors are weighed together.

If you liked my description, please see The Inner Sky by Stephen Forrest.

He's the REAL astrological poet. What I said is but a pale shadow in comparison to that book. :-)
being-singular-plural

Post by being-singular-plural »

Well said, thank you so much jcrowfoot--great insights!!

Peace,
bsp
zstargazer

fun to learn about one's natal chart

Post by zstargazer »

It's always an interesting study to learn about one's natal chart.
At the risk of repeating myself, I did a post here about how it works and one place you can go to get one free:

http://www.everythingunderthemoon.net/f ... 9765#59765

The thing to remember is that we choose how to use the energies in our charts. Human free will. When one begins to study their chart, we often realize that we have talents we have yet to develop, and once we apply ourselves to developing these positive energies, things start falling into place.

In Light,
Alex

Return to “Astrology and Zodiac”