Golden Compass

Paganism, witchcraft, and Wicca as portrayed on TV, movies, and popular culture. Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, Charmed, Practical Magic, etc. If you know of a good show or movie, you can recommend it here or discuss it with others.
[EarthWitch]

Golden Compass

Post by [EarthWitch] »

...not all who wander are lost... (tolkein)

I am the daughter of Earth and Water
and the nursling of the sky-
I pass through the pores of the oceans and shores
I change, but I never die.
-shelley-
Wolf Heart

Post by Wolf Heart »

I was just about to make a post about this movie.

If you haven't read the book that this movie is based on you MUST read it. It is one of my absolute favorite books!! It's part of a three-part series. "The Golden Compass" "The Subtle Knife" and "The Amber Spyglass". They're by Phillip Pullman, a WONDERFUL writer.

I'm so excited about the movie, I hope it does the book justice. I'm going to see it the exact day it comes out!! I'm so excited!!!! :D

Blessed Be,
Wolf Heart
~*People fear the beast within the wolf because they do not understand the beast within themselves.*~
[EarthWitch]

Post by [EarthWitch] »

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize that there were books! I found out about the movie from an email about "DO NOT SEE THIS MOVIE IT IS OF THE DEVIL"...you know those emails....I then went to the website and viewed the trailer! Oh my it looks like it is going to be great! I will have to check out the books! Thanks again!
...not all who wander are lost... (tolkein)

I am the daughter of Earth and Water
and the nursling of the sky-
I pass through the pores of the oceans and shores
I change, but I never die.
-shelley-
Wolf Heart

Post by Wolf Heart »

No problem. The books are really good and quite indepth. I'm not even sure the movie can sum it all up, especially if it's only an hour and a half long. There is so much to the books. There's politics, religious aspects. In the final book one of the main characters actually begins to build an army to sort of go against "God" though they never say God.

*sighs happily* Oooo I'm going to read them again before the movie comes out!!

Blessed Be,
Wolf Heart
~*People fear the beast within the wolf because they do not understand the beast within themselves.*~
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

What's funny is how so many Christians don't look at things below the surface. This is a perfectly moral story that any Christian would stand behind... if they'd just stop squalling about magic long enough to actually pay attention to the story.

I always found it funny that they said the same things about The Chronicles of Narnia. LOL.
Wolf Heart

Post by Wolf Heart »

jcrowfoot wrote:What's funny is how so many Christians don't look at things below the surface. This is a perfectly moral story that any Christian would stand behind... if they'd just stop squalling about magic long enough to actually pay attention to the story.

I always found it funny that they said the same things about The Chronicles of Narnia. LOL.
Wasn't that Lion supposed to represent jesus or something? I never really saw it that way, it was just a good movie. Never read the books, but I was thinking about it.
applepolice

Post by applepolice »

I have to second Wolf Heart's excitement about this film. Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy is, to this date, one of the best book series I have read.

I'm hoping they do a great job with this (and presumably, there will be a sequel). I'm also pleased that Nicole Kidman is in this. Great actress (And gorgeous!).
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

Oh, yeah, the topic! Yes, I am also excited about this movie. I loved the books. Of course, I always go through a roller-coaster ride every time they make a movie out of one of my favorite books.... OMG OMG OMG will they ruin it? Let's see... I got seriously burned when they made The Indian in the Cupboard into a movie. Gaaah! So cross fingers and all other known spells for a positive outcome on this one!!
White*wolf

Post by White*wolf »

I can't wait to see this movie in the theaters. I haven't read the book but I want to see it anyway. It looks really good.
-Jessica [aka Whitewolf]
White*wolf

Post by White*wolf »

I will be seeing the movie this Saturday. I can't wait.
-Jessica [aka Whitewolf]
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

I'm going to force my sweetie to take me to see it in the theater. ::coolglasses::
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I'm seeing it with a bunch of furries on Saturday! Haha.
Wolf Heart

Post by Wolf Heart »

I have to wait until sunday to see it!!!! *cries* No fair! I would go tonight but I promised my boyfriend we'd go together. Oh well, the longer I wait the sweeter it shall be.

Return to “Witchcraft and Wicca in the Media”