"Tarot made Easy" Book Question

For discussion and questions about the tarot.
DarkRose

"Tarot made Easy" Book Question

Post by DarkRose »

Has anyone here encountered this book by Nancy Geren before? I have recently became interested in learning how to read tarot cards. I have had a couple of decks for years but haven't really done anything with them. I picked up this book thinking it would help give me some further insight into how the cards can be read.

at first it seemed to be useful, but after all about a day i started noticing some major contradictions, in how she interprets the cards compared to what others and my own intuition say, i know it is normal for everyone to have their own interps. but what bothers me is the contradictions in how she reads the same card for similar categories. I am now thinking i made a bad choice in picking this book. i was wondering what others thought of it and if anyone had recommendations for a better book selection on tarot reading.
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

Granted, I haven't read this book, but I have had problems like this.

First of all, you intuition is your major guide... the book is there to give you a sense of how it works and a means to find patterns in the cards. Also, they can be good guides to the complex symbolism from the Golden Dawn, which isn't always obvious.

However, once you get that sense, the book is only there to help you when you are stumped on a given card's meaning. It's a guide, not a master. Write down your own meanings for the cards. It's makes interesting reading later on. Also remember you can always add to it as your knowledge and experience grows.

Here are some of my favorite authors in this topic:

Mary K. Greer is good for that kind of reading. 21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card is great, as is Tarot for Yourself.

I always push Robin Wood's Tarot Book. Her guide tells you how not to need the book! It is, by far, my favorite. Her techniques also work for decks that aren't hers, which is not always true for books of this type.

Return to “Tarot Talk”