Excellent Book

Paganism, witchcraft, and Wicca as portrayed on TV, movies, and popular culture. Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, Charmed, Practical Magic, etc. If you know of a good show or movie, you can recommend it here or discuss it with others.
Leo*Moon

Excellent Book

Post by Leo*Moon »

Hi,
Well, so far the best book I've read is Drawing Down the Moon by Margot Adler. Scott Cunningham and D.J. Conway usually write great books too. I absolutley hate Silver RavenWolf. A lot of books these days tend to leave out some of the most important information needed to built a strong foundation as a wiccan/pagan. :cry:

~LeoMoon
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool. ~Shakespeare
Matt*

Post by Matt* »

If you can find them try to read Doreen Valiente. you might have a bit of trouble locating them because some of them are now out of Print.

You will also find S. & J. Farrer books very useful if you are new to wicca

Matt
Am I awake or am I still dreaming?
wiccan_butterfly

Re: Excellent Book

Post by wiccan_butterfly »

LeoMoon wrote:Hi,
Well, so far the best book I've read is Drawing Down the Moon by Margot Adler. Scott Cunningham and D.J. Conway usually write great books too. I absolutley hate Silver RavenWolf. A lot of books these days tend to leave out some of the most important information needed to built a strong foundation as a wiccan/pagan. :cry:

~LeoMoon
why do you hate Silver Ravenwolf, shes a great author
Elem

Post by Elem »

why do you hate Silver Ravenwolf, shes a great author
*twitch*

Shh, I wouldn't say that too loud, let's just say that.. Most people, myself included, find some of her writings... Eh.. Put politely? 'Not so good'.

Put unpolitely? I'd have a search on the board and find out :).

Elem
LaFiamma
Banned Member

Post by LaFiamma »

~LeoMoon
DJ Conway? She's...a bit out there. I don't think I can take anything she wrote seriously after reading Dancing With Dragons. I mean...wow, little baby dragons that love to hang on your ears and participate in tarot card readings? Um...sure...
LaFiamma
Banned Member

Post by LaFiamma »

~LeoMoon
Well...

are you looking for books on Wicca, or on a specific other aspect of paganism? The thing is, "paganism" isn't really *a* religion- it's an umbrella term that can, at least loosely, be applied to most religions outside fo the Abrahamic tradition.

If you're looking for a historical basis of Indo-European pafgan tradition, i could recommend a pretty serious list- though most of it is pretty academic.

If you're looking for Wicca specifically...I'm not the one to ask :-P
Leo*Moon

Post by Leo*Moon »

I say Wicca/Pagan because Margot Adler covers not only Wicca but other religions or traditions under the umbrella term of Pagan. The full title of the book is "Drawing Down the Moon: Witches, Druids, Goddess Worshippers, and Other Pagans in America Today."
The fool thinks himself to be wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool. ~Shakespeare

Return to “Witchcraft and Wicca in the Media”