Spiritual Symptoms

Paganism, witchcraft, and Wicca as portrayed on TV, movies, and popular culture. Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, Charmed, Practical Magic, etc. If you know of a good show or movie, you can recommend it here or discuss it with others.
[scifichick]

Post by [scifichick] »

Ha, that's funny. There is always something going on though, isn't there... The tsunami, the earthquakes, floods...
I am planning to watch the movie soon, I haven't read the book. Have you seen the movie and was it any good?
Only in silence the word,/ only in dark the light,/ only in dying life:/ bright the hawk's flight/ on the empty sky. --Le Guin
Elem

Post by Elem »

The movie's good, but nowhere near as good as the book/s :). I have the 'trilogy in five parts' collection, my girlfriend got it for my birthday last year.. Best present ever :). It comes everywhere with me!

The books aren't that long, so it wouldn't take you too much to get through them.. And they're well worth a read. Guarantee after you have you'll never look at 'ordinary' life in the same way :).

I'd recommend getting all of them though.. The books all tie in together in one long story, so you'll miss out if you don't read them all ;). There's five (in order):

The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy,
The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe,
Life, The Universe And Everything,
So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish!, and
Mostly Harmless

I know this has now dragged the post off topic by me mentioning the book.. For that, I apologise.. But I feel like I have to educate you all as to the wonders of the HHG2G and persuade you to read the books ;) lol. They pulled me through a difficult time, giving me humour and making me smile when I needed to.

Just.. go get em already, ok? :lol:

Elem
[Star In Love]

Post by [Star In Love] »

Oh, I see, this explains alot, but if I may quote you, "What is good for one, may not be good for another." I do now see where you are coming from. Interesting. Blessed Be... Star
[scifichick]

Post by [scifichick] »

Books are usually better than the movies. Scifi channel completely butchered my very favorite series by LeGuin, it was so moronic. The series name is Earthsea. You can look it up on Amazon. I will give the books a try and see if I like it. I'm in a middle of another series, The Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind. It's fun. :D
Only in silence the word,/ only in dark the light,/ only in dying life:/ bright the hawk's flight/ on the empty sky. --Le Guin
Moon_Stone

Post by Moon_Stone »

Elem, I too am a Douglas Adams fan.... :28:

Scifichick, I think the movie was enjoyable on it's own level- but yes, the books are better... especially after having read them, you have developed your own ideas of what the characters and scenarios look like, and seeing someone else's perspective can be odd and seem incorrect. On the other hand- the movie was more a combination of all/several of the books (I haven't read all of them yet)- rather than just one book at a time- which was a good thing. I recommend it- it's entertaining and a well spent two hours.

Back to Elem- have you ever played the game? This was actually something I discovered, back in the day-- playing on floppy disk on my Apple IIe... it was just great, and I have still to do this day not yet mastered it. *sigh*

It's available online now- if you'd like to give it a try (if not yet)-- it's like a DOS came, there are no pictures and no sound- but I still think it's one of the best games out there. (I'm simple like that) :wink:

If interested, Click Here, Hitchhiker's Guide- it'll put you on the main page where you then have to enter the serial number into a box lower on the page- 851108 to progress and begin the game. (Opens in Java)

Let me know what you think. :28:

~BB~
Elem

Post by Elem »

Thanks for that, MoonStone :).

I have played the game before, and eventually managed to finish it. I downloaded the original DOS version :). There's a "20th Anniversary Edition" up on the BBC website.. Here's a link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers ... olan.shtml

It's in flash, and they've illustrated it now too. Kinda takes away from the point of it being a text-based adventure :roll: but it's still pretty good :).

Glad to find a fellow fan! You should read the rest of the books, they're well worth the time :).

Elem

Return to “Witchcraft and Wicca in the Media”