Has anyone heard of ...

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Sumer-rising

Has anyone heard of ...

Post by Sumer-rising »

Orunmila ? and cleansing spell involving a pigeon, snail and an atare pepper?
I was just recently told that I needed to get these items for a cleansing spell as there was bad energy around me ....and these items would be used for atonements.....
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Has anyone heard of ...

Post by SpiritTalker »

If you are a follower of Yoruban beliefs it may be part of standard practices, but I'm not, so of course i have to look things up just to see what they are. I don't imagine it ends well for the pigeon.
Sumer-rising

Post by Sumer-rising »

Thats what I was thinking ....
that it doesn't end well for the bird, so I am looking for more insight. Couldn't find much information on it though
planewalker
Banned Member
Location: In my head with all the other inmates. We think one of us is schizophrenic.

Post by planewalker »

It's a Nigerian religion that got followers of Orunmila in Latine America because of slavery. He is a Orisha. His sphere of influence is knowledge, wisdom and divination. There is some run over to Santarina. Both had their formative years early in the 17th century. The people who used either religion were from the same general area. They also shared much in their cultural backgrounds. {sorry history teacher context} Orunmila is also concerned with purity issues. The snail gets the chop too. You may want to use a different form of cleanse. PETA would not approve of the ceremony.
Sumer-rising

Post by Sumer-rising »

well, i didn't plan on doing it, so to speak, just curious if anyone had heard of it and how it was done, there aren't many article available that give a lot of information on the whole thing.... but its always nice to learn.
planewalker
Banned Member
Location: In my head with all the other inmates. We think one of us is schizophrenic.

Post by planewalker »

It had to be kept secret during the days of slavery. They'd pay lip service to Christianity and then practice their own religion in secret. There was some bleed over of Christianity. Lip service conditioned the children so they took on some of the ways of Christianity. Bits and pieces of Christianity are much more prevalent in Santarina. Trust me, you don't want to have to deal with a BeauCoure Negro, a Shaman/priest. The name says it all - Good Heart (gone) Black. The secretive nature of the religion from slavery days has kept it quiet, very quiet, if not secret.
Sumer-rising

Post by Sumer-rising »

This particular person is actually in Nigeria, I met her on another page about spirituality and lifting of evil hexes and such, and she reached out to me with this info..it was all very weird, but she told me that I needed a cleanse, told me that one of her religion but did say that I could do the one that relates to my religion.
Honestly, I am inclined to believe that there is something negative there as I seem to have all the bad luck no matter what I do...
and I can use my gift to help others and make them happy.
But when it comes to love and money it never works out...ever...
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

A cleanse is more potent if it is done within the beliefs of your own religion. That way you know what the symbolism means.

Another approach is to dissect the intent & properties of the as-given suggestions and do the equivalent.
What does the Orisha stand for and what god-form in your beliefs has similar traits? What is a method of cleansing within your means? A salt or vinegar scrub? A plunge into ice cold water? Reciting an atoning Psalm?

What's the universal significance of the pigeon? You can word-associate too for the meanings in your personal associations. Do the same for snail & pepper. Research and break it down, then substitute something within your means that has a similar function. Then offer these to your equivalent god-form in a manner acceptable to him/her. Check out what atonement offerings are.

In Wicca living sacrifices are not done. Period. An equivalent is offered that has similar value to the giver.

What's a pigeon and a snail? In gardening, they are pests. How could a pest be an offering of atonement? One way is association to pests of unhealthy habits. Offer to break a bad habit. That's just an example. Another possible association is pigeon & snail as a food source (food sustains life). I suppose one could bury some chicken & escargot as an easy offering, but the offering could also be transmuted from an UN-alive association to a life-giving association by pledging to feed birds & wildlife as an act of atonement.
Sumer-rising

Post by Sumer-rising »

She recited this to me..the pigeon never flies from home, the snail never leaves it shell and the Atare is protected within its shell..
She just struck an interest as a complete stranger she picked up on quite a few things...
Unfortunately though, I spoke with my guides and this is a cleansing I will not be able to do on my own, as something has been cast upon me...and actually I can kind of pinpoint when it happened, and who it was, that I will have to go to someone who has long been initiated...a Elder.
*sigh* All of this explains soooooo much really...
Sumer-rising

Post by Sumer-rising »

Thank you everyone by the way!!! I just had a bit of interest in what it was, since I am not familiar at all with the ways of Santeria or African Shamans to be honest...I am a white Earth Mother, so my work has always been about life and love and giving....
planewalker
Banned Member

Post by planewalker »

A much more rewarding undertaking. I've found I like to be able to look in the mirror and like who I see.
Sumer-rising

Post by Sumer-rising »

and I believe I have found someone who can perform the cleanse....with out killing any animals...
planewalker
Banned Member

Post by planewalker »

Truly great work. You get what you need in a manner that crosses no boundaries of civility. Fantastic.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”