Altar tips

Share photos of your altars or other magical tools and pagan decor.
silverowl

Altar tips

Post by silverowl »

Over the last few days I've been reading and researching and I think I've finally found my niche where I will feel comfortable practicing! Drumroll please..... Kitchen witchcraft! I'm a stay at home mom, I love to cook and take care of my home and family, so it's a perfect fit for me. I really want to go ahead and set up my altar, but I'm looking for something that meshes with my kitchen and could be somewhat discreet. My mother is a very straight and narrow Christian and my hubs has very little faith in religion or spirituality of any kind since our daughter passed away a few years ago.

Does anyone have any tips or resources they can suggest to help with this? TIA!
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Alter tips

Post by SpiritTalker »

You might get some inspiration for kitchen witch altars from Pinterest. Or just fiddle around with what you have around the house to create a vignette and expand from there. I keep my utensil holder with ye olde wooden spoone, aka kitchen wand, on the stove. You could use assorted Mason jars for favorite herbs, and a wall shelf as an altar. Let your creative juices flow. It needs to be away from busy work space or things get knocked over.

Any types of female figurines can represent deity associations. A sauce dish becomes an offering bowl. A condiment jar can house many items protected from prying eyes. Browse the altar photos here. Baby Bear did a helpful feature on altars hidden in plain sight.

Please accept my sympathy for your family's loss.
silverowl

Re: Altar tips

Post by silverowl »

Thanks for the suggestions! We're still planning out a lot of things for the kitchen as far as baskets for fresh fruits and veggies. Hubs could definitely get on board with a wall shelf and he's already agreed to a wall mounted spice rack. Our back porch is huge and I pretty much have full reign of that area too for a tiered herb garden. I don't think my mom would look twice at half of the kitchen alters I've seen. My mom was also very into rustic themes as far as kitchens so she'd probably just think I inherited her decorating style lol!

Thank you for your sympathy's as well. It wasn't the path we expected to be on but we've made due.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I think you're on to a really good idea. My sympathy on the loss of your daughter. Moving on from that must have been difficult. I imagine there's something you can incorporate into your altar to honor her memory if you choose to do so.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
silverowl

Post by silverowl »

Thank you. I incorporate her memory in a lot of things and we participate in the wave of light every year in October. Moving on has been an ongoing process, but doing little things really helps.

I'm going to the dollar store today for homeschool supplies so I'm going to see if I can't find some kitchen things, glass or enamelware or even colored candles. Granted I've not done much as far as spells, but you can never go wrong with having candles.
Natascha90

Post by Natascha90 »

I think it's amazing that you've found your niche in the practice! I am still trying to find mine so you're inspiration is inspirational to me :).

Scott Cunninghams book 'Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Wicca in the Kitchen' is a good book to look into.

Sympathies for your loss and blessing for continuing strength.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
silverowl

Post by silverowl »

I was just browsing Pinterest and I stumbled across a post that described several different paths of witchcraft. I've been giddy all day because I tend to march to the beat of my own drum and knew I would have just as difficult a time finding the right coven as I ever did finding a church. I'm still hoping to make some local friends because I do need a mentor, but baby steps.

I'll have to check that book out. I do have some Amazon credit so maybe I'll go ahead and order it if they have it. Along with a ton of other recipe books I've found lol.

Thank you for the sympathies and blessings.

Return to “Altar Pictures”