Natural bug remedies for plants

Discussion of nature and nature spirits and dragons.
WiccanWitch

Natural bug remedies for plants

Post by WiccanWitch »

I grow roses as much as one can in the high desert. Still get critters sucking the life out of my buds. Not aphids I don't think as these are brown. Also get thrips. Any homeopathic rose safe remedies besides lady bugs. They don't stay.

Thanks
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Natural bug remedies for plants

Post by SpiritTalker »

A thumb and 2-finger pull of chewing tobacco soaked in 2qrts of warm water, strained and sprayed will kill bugs. 1Tbs of Lemon dish soap and ounce of Listerine mouth wash in a pint of water will repel bugs and kill black spot. Murphy's Oil Soap sprayed on leaves kills aphids, if I remember right These come from Jerry Baker's "Tips and Tonics", an excellent household product gardening source. Garlic tea also repells bugs.
crescent

Re: Natural bug remedies for plants

Post by crescent »

Neem Oil has been excellent for me. I've used it on all my roses, also safe for use on houseplants. It's not a quick kill, but is effective and a mild fungicide. Most often sprayed on a schedule of every 7-14 days, but it also works systemically as a drench. Just have to be careful about timing, like the evening, to avoid sun exposure/foliage burn.

Return to “Nature - Plants, Animals, Faeries, Dragons”