Am I an Eclectic Wiccan or Pagan Witch?

Frequently asked questions about witchcraft, Wicca, magick, paganism, and the occult. Subjects include love spells, Ouija boards, curses, Law of Attraction, and what to do if you don't have the needed tools, ingredients, altar, etc.
YanaKhan

Re: Am I an Eclectic Wiccan or Pagan Witch?

Post by YanaKhan »

When you have the time, please go to the top section of the forum and make an intro for yourself. Thank you!
WiccanWitch

Post by WiccanWitch »

I think you will have to come to decide that for yourself as you research more and experience more. I would call myself Wiccan although I'm a far cry from following Wiccan rituals and traditions to the letter. My belief set has always been very eclectic. But Wicca helps give me a grounding place to begin my journey. I never knew what to call it before. So I may be eclectic but for now I find Wicca to be useful in helping me understand what I'm looking for, getting into, doing etc. the best advice I found on the web so far is read read and read again. Lots of research. Don't feel the need to squeeze into a label.
SirisDerp

Post by SirisDerp »

While you're first starting out, I recommend not immediately finding a label for yourself to fit into. If you feel the need to call yourself anything then you're pagan. Research and look into everything. It's a very personal path and maybe some day you'll find out something that'll click with you. Wicca is usually the easiest one to look into because of how large it is and information is readily available. It's a good basis to pull from while you're looking for other practices. And by the way, you don't NEED to do witchcraft or spells every day. Lol
Siona

Post by Siona »

Wicca tends to be more about practice than belief in many cases. Do you use Wiccan ritual structure - casting the circle, calling quarters, etc. Do you use Wiccan tools? Follow the Wiccan holidays? Etc, etc. If you're following along the core Wiccan practices and ideas, then it's probably fine to call yourself an eclectic Wiccan. If you're not sure, it's probably better to go with pagan and/or witch. (Both pagans and witches can be eclectic, too, of course.) Either way, whatever you call yourself can and probably will change with time, it does for many of us, so don't stress about it too much.
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

There are religions such as Wicca that are based in right practice and not belief. If Wicca is the most comfortable practice so far I say stick with it and let your beliefs fall in place.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
Ethereal Moon Rose

Post by Ethereal Moon Rose »

I think Wicca is a good starting point. I've only just recently gotten used to the fact that I'm NOT Wiccan as I once thought. I now consider myself an eclectic witch, but this took a long time and lots of studying to come to this conclusion.
Jenny Crow

Post by Jenny Crow »

Pumpkinfae wrote: I like to believe that the God and Goddess represent specific energies in the universe (The Goddess as the Moon, Sea and Earth/ The God as the Sun, Flora and Fauna and of course they both represent the physical sexes that exist here) I also believe that these energies or souls are recycled after death, aka reincarnation.
As someone else said, it's probably best to wait a bit until you settle more into your practice before you stick a label on yourself. It will all fall into place eventually, I'm sure.

Your belief about the God and Goddess representing specific energies is shared by others, too. Although I'm a little perplexed when you say the Goddess as the Moon, Sea and Earth -- the moon, sea and earth are not energies, they are physical things that have energies. Or am I misunderstanding you, maybe.
Jenny Crow

Post by Jenny Crow »

Yes, that's a good post. Explains it all quite well :)
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

Eclectic just means you take from multiple sources. Pagan is basically not Abrahamic religion/spirituality. Most witches nowadays are pagans, or more accurately Neopagans. Neopaganism is fairly eclectic itself.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about labels yet.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi

Return to “F.A.Q.”