Spells for an *ahem* Atheist?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Dr_Sir

Spells for an *ahem* Atheist?

Post by Dr_Sir »

Hello!

I have been looking into spells, just general spell craft and most of the spells involve [insert correct term here] a god or goddess. Now, I don't actually believe gods and goddesses are real, just my humble opinion, but that does leave lots of spells on online books of shadows etc not very easily performed. My understanding is you have to put your full attention and intention into a spell and direct it towards god(dess)/deities. But how does one do that when one does not believe in such things?

Do you see the dilemma?
missionaries dismiss me for my single epiphany
The diff between him and me is a simple sip of British Tea!
So when times are hard and life is rough,
You can stick the kettle on and find me a cup
Becks

Re: Spells for an *ahem* Atheist?

Post by Becks »

I do not always call on "gods" for spells. It's not a "have to" situation. You can connect to universal energies.

For the record in my own work I dont use spells found in a book or online....the only exception would be connecting with an online group or coven. My magic comes from within and inspiration from spirits. You need to do what you feel.
Ethereal Moon Rose

Post by Ethereal Moon Rose »

As Becks said!

I've done many spells and not once have I called upon gods and goddesses. I invite the energies to join me, but not a specific god/goddess.
SirisDerp

Post by SirisDerp »

With spells that you find that you'd like to try, you'd have to adjust it to your needs. Exclude the gods/goddesses portion and direct your energy outwards to the world as a whole or universal energy (if you believe that). Everything would have to be adjusted to better fit you. Or you could make your own taking the route that feels comfortable to you.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

If I recall correctly, Xiao Rong did not incorporate deities in her belief and practice until recently. She would be the person to actually address the subject of her beliefs, but you might search through her posts.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

You can use the deities are archetypes, without losing your "atheist card". (This is what LaVey Satanism usually does, even though it's supposed to be atheistic.)

You can substitute for spirits or the universe, or the elements, or the sidhe, of angels, or daemons, etc. You can also rise energy from yourself. Such practices that include no gods are chakras, mantras, meditations, reiki, tarot, most divination etc.

There are plenty of spells, including on this site, that do not utilize gods/goddesses.

Remember, that a lot of rituals and spells are very psychological.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
WiccanWitch

Post by WiccanWitch »

I am curious do you believe in anything beyond this world?
Dr_Sir

Post by Dr_Sir »

WiccanWitch wrote:I am curious do you believe in anything beyond this world?

Well, I believe in the essence and energy of the universe, I believe gods are not omnipotent and all knowing beings but rather attempts by humanity to understand the nature of the universe. they did this by assigning different effects of the universe on certain things, and then gave them a name. I do not believe in "divinity" and while I do have a certain belief in crystals. I see them more as batteries than actual living things (as some people do).

beyond this world in the spooky ghost way? sort of, do I believe in vampires, werewolves, dragons, faeries, leprechauns and dwarves? no, for a similar reason to my lack of belief in gods. "spirits" (or manafestations of the universe that carry out or guard a specific function) yes

I am very new to my path so this may change
WiccanWitch

Post by WiccanWitch »

There are religions that do not embrace any deity per se but a universal energy. Buddhism for one. Taoism for another. I'm sure there are other religions.

I speak for myself but I do not believe crystals are alive either and never got that from the reading I've done. They vibrate as all things do, with energy and are useful for channeling focusing or harnessing energy.

And you're right, things change and a healthy skepticism isn't a bad thing but it will make it harder to open yourself to the things you are hoping to harness. I have a similar issue as I'm very science minded and always want proof.
Ethereal Moon Rose

Post by Ethereal Moon Rose »

Dr_Sir wrote:
WiccanWitch wrote:I am curious do you believe in anything beyond this world?

Well, I believe in the essence and energy of the universe, I believe gods are not omnipotent and all knowing beings but rather attempts by humanity to understand the nature of the universe. they did this by assigning different effects of the universe on certain things, and then gave them a name. I do not believe in "divinity" and while I do have a certain belief in crystals. I see them more as batteries than actual living things (as some people do).

beyond this world in the spooky ghost way? sort of, do I believe in vampires, werewolves, dragons, faeries, leprechauns and dwarves? no, for a similar reason to my lack of belief in gods. "spirits" (or manafestations of the universe that carry out or guard a specific function) yes

I am very new to my path so this may change
This is my view.

I don't see the Gods and Goddesses as seperate beings. They are of the same God and Goddess. When we call on a specific one, we are calling on an aspect of the divine God or Goddess.

The God and Goddess are personifications of Earths masculine and feminine life forces. Equal to eachother but complete opposites. This makes it easier for us mere mortals to understand.
WiccanWitch

Post by WiccanWitch »

That's kind of how I see it. We give names and personas to them to compartmentalize a larger more all encompassing being or force.
Dr_Sir

Post by Dr_Sir »

WiccanWitch wrote:That's kind of how I see it. We give names and personas to them to compartmentalize a larger more all encompassing being or force.
I like the idea of a force. I said this on a different forum, this is what I have been favouring recently
Dr_Sir wrote:the universe is not Alive as such, but it provides the ability for living things to...live, I suppose its what some people may call a soul. and when you die over a long period of time the soul eventually returns to its state of being part of this universal essence. I must stress I don't think mountains and crystals are alive. they do not have souls, but do carry this universal essence. think of it like ice and water, the same chemical make up, but in a different state. a soul is the state of this universal energy/essence when it is in a living thing, tree's, insects animals and humans. then there is the essence in everything and everything. not alive, but will eventually "melt" into a living thing and become a soul, spirit etc
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

Dr_Sir wrote:
Dr_Sir wrote:the universe is not Alive as such, but it provides the ability for living things to...live, I suppose its what some people may call a soul. and when you die over a long period of time the soul eventually returns to its state of being part of this universal essence. I must stress I don't think mountains and crystals are alive. they do not have souls, but do carry this universal essence. think of it like ice and water, the same chemical make up, but in a different state. a soul is the state of this universal energy/essence when it is in a living thing, tree's, insects animals and humans. then there is the essence in everything and everything. not alive, but will eventually "melt" into a living thing and become a soul, spirit etc
This is a really good quote. I like it. Can I use it?
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

Dr_Sir wrote:the universe is not Alive as such, but it provides the ability for living things to...live [. . .] not alive, but will eventually "melt" into a living thing and become a soul, spirit etc
The philosopher in me is stirring ;)

If the effect comes from the cause, then the effect is at least something like the cause.

If the effect is alive, how is the cause not alive as such? It would logically follow that in order to produce a living thing, you must start with a living thing.
Dr_Sir

Post by Dr_Sir »

corvidus wrote: It would logically follow that in order to produce a living thing, you must start with a living thing.

do pardon me, but I must disagree with that :P

With the theory of abiogenesis in mind, life came from a "soup" of bits and bobs that where most definitely not alive. I very much subscribe to this idea. because if life needs to come from life....where did the first life come from? there is a huge hole in the argument for the law of bio-genesis

while I can see your point it does raise the "where did life come from" argument. this is the argument that kept me from conforming to religion in the first place. and the thing I like about paganism is there is no one explanation, its your own path etc

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”