How to Learn the Tarot

For discussion and questions about the tarot.
Kat
Banned Member

How to Learn the Tarot

Post by Kat »

you have a way, or a website, or anything to learn how to read tarot? the spreads maybe. I'm not sure what's needed. do I write the interpretation on the card or not? and is it best to interprete each card based on intuition or learn an outside interpretation?
*Blessed Be*
Adiens

Re: how read

Post by Adiens »

I say when you're learning use the interpretation of the cards that's usually provided as a guide and rely on your intuition the rest of the way until you hone your skills.

And be sure to thoroughly shuffle your deck each time!

Also attuning your deck is important. There are many ways to do so....This website gives some good ideas.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: how read

Post by Xiao Rong »

Hi Kat,

I actually used this website, LearnTarot.com, to be a really helpful resource. There's even a free, self-paced course that is great for helping you understand the tarot in a holistic way, starting with an overview of the structure of the tarot, and then moving on to 1-card draws, and then onto spreads. I don't know if you have a deck already or not, but I'd recommend just starting with a deck that has artwork that speaks to you, and going from there.

Many people recommend keeping a tarot journal. I found this approach to be very helpful, as there's no better way to learn the cards than to just start working with them. Truthfully, I haven't memorized every single card yet, but that's totally fine too. I don't think it's productive to try to memorize them like flashcards. Each card has a deep and rich meaning that is really just best understood from context. So if you're so inclined, you can start with a daily tarot reading for yourself.

I like to ask, "What do I need to know about today?", pulling a card, and then reading up on its traditional meanings. Make sure to study the art too. Jot down any feelings you have about the cards (do you like it? don't like it? love the art? notice a particular image on the card? one meaning of the card that sticks out to you? does it make you feel anything? remind you of someone or something?) in your journal, and then leave it behind. Come back later at the end of the day and see how your feelings at the beginning of the day panned out. When you've done this enough, you start associating personal experiences with the cards. That's really the best way to learn the cards, as opposed to rote memorization.

When it comes intuition vs. traditional interpretation, I would say to go for a hybrid approach. Naturally when you first start out, you'll be relying on the traditional meanings a lot -- the "little white book" that comes with the box, usually. (Learn Tarot also has meanings of each individual card that I reference a lot). But, like I said, as you practice, you'll start noticing your own intuition coming to play. You might draw a card but then you just feel like it's the secondary meaning that actually gets your attention -- then you can explore what the secondary meaning has to say about the current situation. The artwork can trigger something similar, too. There have been a number of times where I've been reading for someone and I'll just notice that the card's traditional meaning isn't that important to the reading -- it was actually a symbol on the card itself. For instance, I've seen a number of deities reach out via the Tarot -- once, I drew the King of Swords for a friend, which in my deck clearly depicts Odin (and she is a devotee of Odin!). I noticed that, and I relayed that message to her. In that case, the traditional interpretation of the King of Swords was much less important than the presence of Odin.

Ultimately, I guess it comes down to staying open about what the cards could mean. I feel like that's where the skill of the reader comes in. There's any number of programs or apps where you can click a button and they'll randomly generate a spread for you and spit out what each card means; there's no skill in that. What makes a reader different from a divination app on your iPhone is that the reader can make a holistic interpretation and bring her own psychic vision into the reading, to pick out the elements that are more important and any unique insights.

Hope that helps!

------------

Additional thoughts:

Sakura also has a great thread on how to start reading the tarot.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Adiens

Re: How to Learn the Tarot

Post by Adiens »

Sorry I didn't realize this was posted under ask the mods. Sorry! :oops:
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

LOL Adiens, no worries! You are totally welcome to chime in!
Kat
Banned Member

Post by Kat »

yes Xiao it rly helps. I somehow knew you were the one to help with this. thank you so much. and tnx for taking the time to type all that.
*Blessed Be*
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

No problem; let me know if you have more questions!
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I still refer to the books that came with my decks. But I take what the book says and look at the individual situation. I think I'm parroting Xiao here. I did my very first reading, ever, with a deck of playing cards and an old reference book. It was for a friend who was on the outs with her mother. The reading was totally accurate as to the eventual outcome. A few months later I put my new skills to work reading cards at a Girl Scout carnival. The kids all said my readings were accurate. I wonder now, how many of them may have chosen a pagan path as a result. Of course they may have just been overwhelmed by the purple robes and purple eye shadow. It was probably 1975.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Sakura Blossom

Post by Sakura Blossom »

I also have this thread I started a bit ago that might help as well: Tarot: A How-To. Xiao gave an amazing answer, though, so I don't think there's much on there that she hasn't covered but I believe I may have posted links on there too but I'm not sure....
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
Chalice

Post by Chalice »

I recommend signing up to Magicka School for their free courses.

Their intro to Tarot is excellent.

http://www.magickaschool.com/courses.php

I would work with the Rider Waite, and just keep practicing over and over.
Witchcraft & OBOD Druidry.
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Adiens wrote:Sorry I didn't realize this was posted under ask the mods. Sorry! :oops:
Every member is free to jump in and post in any forum on the entire message board, Adiens!

Mythasaurus_Rex

Post by Mythasaurus_Rex »

Just gonna go read these websites like a crazy person and soak up all the information I can. This is exactly what I've been looking for as I just started learning how to read Tarot this past week. :D I'm all kinds of excited now. :D :D :D :D
I am one within myself but also one within the goddess.
I open myself up to new learnings and new adventures by being modest.

Return to “Tarot Talk”