Sage smudging

Make your own oils, incense, dream pillows, teas, aromatics, magickally charged bath salts, candles, soap, yummy pagan holiday treats, and more!
keria

Sage smudging

Post by keria »

I have been researching how to make smudges from the sage in my garden and I found out that there are several different types of sage. Some sources say that common garden sage (salvia officinalis) can't be used for smudging because it might be toxic that white sage (salvia apiana) is what should be used. Does anyone have experience making there own sage smudges and if so what type do you use? I am hoping that I can use my garden sage for more than cooking.....
keria

Re: Sage smudging

Post by keria »

Can anybody help? Pleeez
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

It's not uncommon to wait a few days for a response, especially on week days when members need to balance work, home life, family life, and other responsibilities.

If you ever need an answer immediately, google is the way to go.
However, sage is POSSIBLY UNSAFE when taken by mouth in high doses or for a long time. Some species of sage, such as common sage (Salvia officinalis), contain a chemical called thujone. Thujone can be poisonous if you get enough. This chemical can cause seizures and damage to the liver and nervous systems. The amount of thujone varies with the species of plant, the time of harvest, growing conditions, and other factors.
http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplemen ... tname=sage
keria

Post by keria »

Ok thank you
keria

Post by keria »

I did do google searches and I found conflicting information. That's why I was asking hoping someone had experience with it. I commented again because It was way down on the post page that I wasn't sure if people would see it. I'm sorry if I overstepped :-/
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

No worries. I tend to go to medical-oriented websites for anything potentially toxic, just in case. :)
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

In my experience, all sages are ok to burn. Taking internally is a little bit different. And yes thujone can be toxic in large amounts or if taken more than 2 weeks at a time, but smudge...you would have to close yourself off in a room with no windows and burn copious amounts and that would irritate the heck out of your lungs. There is one sage, s. divinorum that may be less safe to burn.
bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

firebirdflys wrote:There is one sage, s. divinorum that may be less safe to burn.
bb, Firebird

Salvia Divinorum, the Diviner's Sage? This plant is psychoactive.
keria

Post by keria »

Thanks guys. That's what I was hoping. I appreciate your help. Blessed be :)
Becks

Post by Becks »

Did you make them? How did it go?
keria

Post by keria »

No I didn't. My sage didn't grow thick enough but I have loose dried sage that I burn on charcoal. I have more growing and I'm hoping to keep them trimmed down to try and get them to grow thicker. We'll see :-/
Becks

Post by Becks »

The sage doesn't have to be super thick. There are many varieties that don't look like sage as we think of it. You can still bundle and tie with strings corresponding colour if you like. My friend would also mix in other herbs with the sage. hopefully you get enough to work with. :)
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Yeah, I like to bundle different herbs together also. One of my favorites is sagebrush, lavender and rosemary. There is an Artimesia that is frequently bundled. It's a pretty abundant high desert sage that really isn't a true sage but Artemesia tridentata https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... oi1ufccYDA
A local mugwort is also an Artemisia, and it is another one that can be added to the mixed bundles, it's pretty strong smelling though but is excellent to activate spiritual centers within the body.
Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Becks

Post by Becks »

Clever! I like the idea of the mugwort/sage blend a lot. That sounds like a terrific way to fascilitate assistive energy and spirit aiding in divination; while keeping out unwanted energy attracted to that kind of work.

Return to “Kitchen Magick & Witch Crafts”