Cat peeing on furniture

Discussion about pets, familiars, animal totems, animal spirits, pet ghosts, and more. All animal talk, crazy and normal, is welcome here.
Allthepacas

Cat peeing on furniture

Post by Allthepacas »

I need help with my cat peeing on furniture, I have tried everything to try and get her to stop but it isn't working.
If I can't get her to stop before wednesday we are selling her, I already have a buyer and everything.
I don't know where to put this so here it is.
Vesca

Re: Cat peeing on furniture

Post by Vesca »

Have you taken her to the vet to get that checked out? That should be your first stop.

If it turns out there's no medical cause for it, a lot of cats will start peeing outside of their box when they're presented with some stressing factors that they can't cope with (some change in the living area, a new pet, a new smell, a new roommate, etc...). Sometimes it helps to keep them in one room until they can get used to the smell/sound of that change and gradually ease them into it, but it takes longer than 3 days for that adjustment to happen.
Allthepacas

Post by Allthepacas »

A month ago she started peeing on my bed and we tried locking her out and she was peeing on everything else, it isn't medical, I even tried moving the litterbox into my room and it didn't work.
She only pees in my bed.
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

If you haven't taken her to a vet, you can not definitely say it's not medical.

She needs to see a vet, and could benefit from any potentially new stressors in her living space being identified.
Allthepacas

Post by Allthepacas »

I have taken her to the vet
AdastraJunction
Banned Member
Location: This crazy place in the USA called the West Coast (Originally London, UK)

Post by AdastraJunction »

Typically this is a sign of UTI, Bladder/Kidney stones or Diabetes. If those have been ruled out a shelter may be the best place fore her if you do not have the mindset to have her seen by a behaviorist to correct inappropriate elimination. Some vets will prescribe a medication for feline behavior issues to calm them (basically kitty prozac).
Allthepacas

Post by Allthepacas »

I can't get a behaviouralist, my parents wont allow it, I asked about that a couple days ago
Blackthorn

Post by Blackthorn »

One of my kitties has anxiety that was caused from his living situation before he was surrendered to the shelter I adopted him from, and he can sometimes get triggers that set him off and cause him to pee outside his litter. (This is probably not an option for you since your parents are already set on getting rid of your cat, but I got mine a cat companion and she really helped with his anxiety). After ruling out medical issues, I always try to determine what it is that is triggering him. One time, it was that I was using a new laundry detergent on my bed and he didn't like it.

The thing is, unfortunately you can't "fix" a cat's behaviour issues in three days. I agree with Adrasta, that maybe a new human or a shelter might actually be in the cat's best interest if your parents aren't willing to hire a behaviourist or to work with the cat and her problems. In my opinion, no one should ever opt for responsibility of another being if they are not willing to make the commitments (time, energy, love, money, etc.) necessary to ensure its well-being.

Edit: Oops, I forgot to add: Can you let us know what you've tried so far, and maybe we can come brainstorm some new ideas.
MsMollimizz

Post by MsMollimizz »

I would also think that cat is very upset with something new
in household or did someone leave the household recently
for the cat to be stressing about ? There are quite a few
websites where you can ask a few questions...
Can she be upset about not getting enough attention ?
Gentle Light
MsMollimizz
Until one has loved an animal,
part of their soul remains un-awakened.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge." Steven Hawkings
eed232612

Post by eed232612 »

My male cat used to do this so we took him to the vet and it turned out to be a UTI. We put him on prescription food the royal canin urinary os. And after eating it for about a week he was only peeing in the litter box! Plus he was much happier there was a huge personality change in him.

Try taking her to a different vet and have them do a urinary analysis, they'll have to sedate her for it but it will tell you for sure if that's the case.

There are also diffussers you can buy that are supposed to release certain cat hormones or pheromones into the air to calm them.

Oh if her urine has what looks like a crystal like texture when it dries on a surface then it is for sure a uti.

Return to “Animals and Pets”