Elemental Goddesses vs. Nature Spirits

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Elemental Goddesses vs. Nature Spirits

Post by Starwitch »

Hey guys,

An artist friend sent me this question regarding some art she's been commissioned to create. I wanted to get your opinions on her questions. I don't really feel qualified to answer on behalf of the pagan community, so maybe a few different answers would be helpful to her. Here's her question.

A company that I work with to make greeting cards has asked me to paint Goddess themes, and the brief was to do four Elemental Goddesses (Earth, Fire, Water and Air) but they've changed it last minute, worried that the elemental concept would send mixed messages to the Pagan community, they said because elves, gnomes and undines, etc are more suiting for the elemental connection?

I thought it best to ask you on behalf of the Pagan Community directly.
Is there any particular Goddess themes that you think would be appropriate in a series of paintings for the Pagan community?

I'd appreciate your help and time Star I hope you have a magical Yuletide Holiday xx
Sakura Blossom

Re: Elemental Goddesses vs. Nature Spirits

Post by Sakura Blossom »

Well, I don't work with the Goddess but from my own viewpoint, I think gnomes, elves and the like could potentially be offensive to those in the Pagan community who don't necessarily follow that? I'm not sure how to properly explain this... What I mean is that when people think gnomes, elves, etc. they think of the media versions of those and may not appreciate another commercialized aspect of this?

I can't say what to use in its place, but this is just something I thought of for this.

I hope they are able to figure it out and others have a better answer than me!
"We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy

If you need any help with anything, don't hesitate to ask!
Siona

Post by Siona »

Starwitch wrote: Is there any particular Goddess themes that you think would be appropriate in a series of paintings for the Pagan community?
I don't think there's anything wrong with doing a series of elemental goddess paintings, as there are tons of historical goddesses across many cultures who are really strongly tied to the elements in many ways - Gaia and the earth, Yemaya and water (the ocean), Pele and fire... and so on. There's definitely a lot of classical inspiration to pull from for an elemental theme.

However, if they really wanted to move away from that theme, they might look into doing something inspired by the seasons? Many pagans follow holidays based on the seasons, and classically it's another theme with a lot of support behind it - a spring/dawn goddess, a summer goddess, harvest, and winter?
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

I'm not sure how it would be "offensive" either way, precisely because the Pagan community is so diverse in belief and practice! At any rate, the four elements (and their associated elementals) are such ancient concepts that long predate the (modern) Pagan movement, that I think they'd be fair game. If I had to guess, though, I feel like more Pagans would connect to a broader "4 elements" theme than the elves/gnomes/undines/sylphs sort of deal.
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Myrth

Post by Myrth »

I tend to buy based on season rather than elements. And I am usually sharing the cards with others who don't share my exact beliefs. And, I don't try to convert others, so my cards are not "religious" but sharing a fun greeting. So the type of card I choose is generally based on the seasons, and whimsy. Seasonal art with nature based spirits would appeal to me.
Myrth
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

Some people aren't happy unless they're being offended by something. I think the Elemental Goddesses would be fine. It's going to bother someone, no matter how it's done.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Heartsong

Post by Heartsong »

Honestly, either the elemental Goddesses or using gnomes, undines, etc. would appeal to me, and I wouldn't find either to be offensive. I would likely buy either set of greeting cards. I like Siona's idea of using Goddesses associated with the seasons as well.
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
Starwitch
Owner
Owner

Post by Starwitch »

Thank you all so much for your answers and opinions on this. As far as I know, my artist friend doesn't have a forum account, so I'll pass these comments along to her. (Feel free to continue posting on this thread and I'll pass those along too.)

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”