How Do We Work with a God/Goddess?

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
Erydiel

How Do We Work with a God/Goddess?

Post by Erydiel »

So I've pretty much seen everywhere that people refer to the God and Goddess as verbatim, or at least The Lord and Lady. Then as I look through these forums and browsing the internet, everyone has a different deity that they work with or something similar to that.
Can anyone explain this to me in full detail? I'm very confused on this, and I'm a little frustrated because I see all of the wonderful things that people have experienced as they connected more with their deity and/or the God/Goddess.
Also, I've heard somewhere else that the God and Goddess will reveal their true name to you? How does that work?
And is there really such a thing as a Spirit Guide or Spirit Animal?

...sorry about the many questions..

Any information would be truly appreciative.

Blessed Be,

Erydiel
May the light always guide you on a dreary day.
YanaKhan

Re: How Do We Work with a God/Goddess?

Post by YanaKhan »

I can only speak from my experience. I guess it's different for everyone. I was raised as an atheist and for me it was very very hard to believe in any God/Goddess. I have researched Wicca and the main reason why it doesn't appeal to me is that you need to call/invite the God and the Goddess in everything you do. Then I started researching candle magick and started working with candles a lot. I was then in another forum where there was a "school of magick" and was taking the "Candle magick" class. The "teacher" was working with many different deities, Gods, Goddesses from different pantheons and I decided I am going to add several of these to my practices. That was the first time I really connected with a deity and I discovered that when you ask for help, they do help and fast. So I researched several pantheons and started working with several Gods from each pantheon. I don't really pray to any of them. I treat them as equals, but more experienced and helpful deities. They usually answer to my pleas and I express my appreciation by giving offerings. I actually give regular offerings to some deities without necessarily asking favors which is appreciated and whenever I do need help, they answer.
I think if you have a hard time believing, you need to start working without turning to Gods/Goddesses. Just basic energy workings, meditation, concentration. If you feel like you need to have a presence, maybe ask for your God/Goddess to contact you. There are simple contact spells and you may receive your answers in a dream, in an everyday conversation, in a book you read or any place really. You just need to listen. You can also try meditating out in the open and ask for contact during meditation. You can also try and contact them in a dream.
Everyone is different and you needn't beat yourself up over the fact you don't feel the connection with the God and Goddess. It may come with time, it's not instantly established once you decide to become Wiccan.
That's only my view though. I guess it's different for everyone.
Heartsong

Post by Heartsong »

Elcida is very right, no one is going to experience the Gods/Goddesses in the same way, and there's no set time on when (of if) you establish a connection with them. Some Pagans never do, and that's fine.

Some believe that the various gods and goddesses are simple aspects of the Wiccan God and Goddess, while others believe that each and every deity is a powerful and individual personality. I think it comes down to how you experience them. As far as the God and Goddess revealing their true name to you, I think that's also a matter of personal gnosis (spiritual experience). For some, they're told to look to a specific pantheon (like Greek, for example) and are called to worship those deities. For others, they're simply the God and Goddess.

I myself have never encountered a spirit guide, but I do believe that there is such a thing, and spirit animals as well. Again, comes down to what a person experiences.

If you'd like to look into more info, I'd suggest reading over these threads:

http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 27554.html

http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 26271.html

http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 27382.html

http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 27030.html

http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 25205.html

And also check out this subforum on spirit guides and animals. There are a ton of personal experiences and discussions about them. :)
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
Erydiel

Post by Erydiel »

Thank you for both of your replies! I'll definitely look over the links that were given, and look at the subforum as well. It looks like it'll take a lot of time and dedication, so I definitely need to be patient haha.
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

I think nothing is as more personal than the relationship to deity. Whatever that is for you. And as there are so many differing paths of being a witch, so are there many differing ways to connect to deity.

I know some people who are Wiccan that its just God and Goddess, and those are general terms, not necessarily a specific deity. They see them as more of an energy to work with, in the male and female roles.

When I WAS Wiccan, I used Brighid as the Goddess, and Cerrunnos as the God figures. I worked with and honored them specifically, called upon them specifically in ritual and spells.

Now I have a very eclectic path, and work with many deities, as well as angels, spirit guides, archangels, animal guides and even plant guides. Each one brings something different to the table so I work with them depending on what they can help with at the time. For instance in healing work I call upon all my angels, spirit guides, animal guide as well Archangel Raphael and Apollo.

When you are ready to make a connection, they will introduce theirselves to you in unique ways. You can go into meditation with the intention of meeting them. State out loud or to yourself, "I wish/intend to meet ________" or similar. You can also do this before falling asleep, and they may come to you in your dreams.

So for example before you go bed "I intend/wish to meet a goddess to work with" or similar

For several years I have worked mostly with Ganesh, Lakshmi, Archangel Michael, and Archangel Raphael, but I wanted to meet and start a relationship with another God and Goddess that could bring something in that these didnt have or offer. I made the intention statement to meet them before falling asleep. One night I dreamt about Selene. I knew it was her because she literally was holding up a big sign that read "selene". So I woke up and researched her and discovered she was what I was looking for.

Apollo kept coming up everywhere for me, signs of archery, etc that is known for. I kept ignoring him because I didnt want to work in the Greek pantheon. Eventually I couldnt ignore the signs anymore and realized that he actually was exactly what I was looking for the whole time. But my stubbornness from not wanting to work in the Greek pantheon blocked us form staring a relationship earlier. So drop away any preconceived notions of who/what you think they are or should be. Listen, pay attention in meditation and to your dreams, looks for signs in you waking life that lead to them.
Xiao Rong
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Xiao Rong »

So I've pretty much seen everywhere that people refer to the God and Goddess as verbatim, or at least The Lord and Lady. Then as I look through these forums and browsing the internet, everyone has a different deity that they work with or something similar to that.
Can anyone explain this to me in full detail? I'm very confused on this, and I'm a little frustrated because I see all of the wonderful things that people have experienced as they connected more with their deity and/or the God/Goddess.
Hey Erydiel! I have struggled with something similar in my path, where I first came to Paganism only celebrating the Divine as the spirit of the universe. Over time, I've come to draw on the energies of individually named deities (for me, Persephone, Guanyin, and Athena), because the Divine is so vast and expansive that it's very hard to get to know, but I approach individual deities as a way to tap into the Divine. It's like moving to a new town where you don't know anyone, and it's easier to befriend your neighbors first, who can help you learn your way around the town, than trying to meet everyone at once in the town hall meeting!
~ Xiao Rong ~ 小蓉 ~ Little Lotus ~
Erydiel

Post by Erydiel »

Haha Xiao Rong, I see what you mean! I haven't really thought of it that way. I know that many people choose which deity they wish to work with from the get-go, and others let the God and Goddess come to them in a dream/meditation/etc. I would like it much better if they came to me, and I know that will take a lot of time and patience. But I do get your point!

AnaisStar, thank you for your helpful tips as well. I think I'm going to start with the statement every night before I go to bed. I've been very busy lately so I haven't been able to meditate (or at least grasp onto the idea, since I've never done it before). I don't really have any preconceived ideas on which deity that I will eventually work with since there are so many, though. I do appreciate the tip, of course!

Blessed Be,

Erydiel
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

Erydiel wrote:So I've pretty much seen everywhere that people refer to the God and Goddess as verbatim, or at least The Lord and Lady. Then as I look through these forums and browsing the internet, everyone has a different deity that they work with or something similar to that.
Not everyone has a Patron deity that they work with. I don't. Though many people do pick or feel chosen by a specific God or Goddess to work with and primarily honor.
Erydiel wrote: Can anyone explain this to me in full detail? I'm very confused on this, and I'm a little frustrated because I see all of the wonderful things that people have experienced as they connected more with their deity and/or the God/Goddess.
Some people believe in many individual Gods and Goddesses and so they work with a specific Gor or Goddess from a specific pantheon. Other people believe in one God and Goddess who manifests as every Goddess and Every God depending on how a person is going to relate best to them. Basically people find a divine persona that they relate to more than others and start to pray to and develop a relationship with that deity.

Some believe that they are choosen to serve those Gods in a Matron/Patron type relationship and some become or strive to become Priest/ess of those deities. Its an intense relationship that is typically started by the deity themselves. Though occasionally an individual seeks out the Gods and the God decides to answer that person, or they take an interest in that person.
Erydiel wrote: Also, I've heard somewhere else that the God and Goddess will reveal their true name to you? How does that work?
I don't know. The actual names of some deities in some traditions of religious witchcraft are oath bound and known only to initiates. So its possible that people who practice other forms of non-iniatory religious witchcraft could have trance encounters with deities and be given a private name for them to use and them alone.
Erydiel wrote: And is there really such a thing as a Spirit Guide or Spirit Animal?
My question to you would be what do you mean by the terms spirit guide and spirit animal. Those terms have different meanings to different people, so for me to answer that I need to know what your concepts are for those terms.

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”