Who decided what properties each crystal has?

Discussion and questions about the magical properties and uses of crystals and stones.
Obsidian

Who decided what properties each crystal has?

Post by Obsidian »

I'm curious as to how we came to the conclusion that a certain gemstone/crystal has a certain property. Were tests done to prove this? Did someone fall into a trance and come out of it with this knowledge? Was it trial and error? I also find it confusing when a gemstone has one set of properties attributed to it in one source and a totally different set of properties attributed to it in another. Although I acknowledge that some of this 'knowledge' is from the internet and therefore may not be accurate.

It's not enough or me to say "well the internet or this book says that this stone has this property so therefore I am going to use it in this kind of spell work." I want some history or explanation behind these conclusions so that I don't feel as if I am blindly following. If anyone has an answer to this question on a book or site that they recommend I read to get the backstory behind crystals and their properties I'd appreciate it.
miachrhys

Re: Who decided what properties each crystal has?

Post by miachrhys »

I think the reason that the properties differ so much is because each crystal can have an impact on different people in different ways. I don't think that there is any set correspondence for anything and when people suggest that it is the case then they are probably mistaken. The whole idea behind magic and correspondences is that they work because we associate a use to them and give them that power. The idea is that they work because they want them to work, if you will. That is my perception at least.

As for the common associations, I think they come from folklore more than anything else. I've heard time and again that Amethyst was used to keep people from becoming intoxicated but I have been drunk while in the vicinity of my Amethyst. Does that mean my amethyst doesn't work? Of course not. I think we have to try to understand the mindset of these crystal's associations in terms of the people that gave them those associations. Maybe Amethyst is thought to possess that power because a member of a royal family attempted to get drunk one night and it didn't happen? I don't think we'll ever know for sure.
-Dark-Moon-

Post by -Dark-Moon- »

The origins of crystal metaphysical meanings go back since before recorded history. They also come from looking cross culturally at correlations between a stones meanings. For example similarities in uses between different ancient civilisations, like the Egyptians, Aztecs, Persians, etc. Some properties are also thought to have come from correlations between a stones colour and corresponding chakra points.
I am that which is attained at the end of desire
Obsidian

Post by Obsidian »

Ah, thank you Dark Moon.
Klia

Post by Klia »

This link may help you! Just came across it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDTP9SFCKhs
"The will to do, the soul to dare is yours for the taking if you prepare."
Isis3Anubis

Post by Isis3Anubis »

Honestly I believe it's different associations for different people. I have various metaphysical crystal books from six different authors and each one has various meanings for the crystals properties. Most correspond according to color like jet, onyx and smokey quartz for protection, but the associations for the stones agate, jasper, and calcite vary widely because of the various colors of these stones. Melody who wrote Love Is In the Earth, gets into the most detail about crystal histories and what stones where used on the breastplates of ancient priests. Personally I don't care if there is no written history proving the effectiveness of certain stones because Quartz has been proven to contain piezoelectric qualities used vastly in electronics. Copper and other minerals are great conductors and stones like malachite contains copper projective qualities which can be used for various magickal purposes.
She's just pieces of me you've never seen ~ Tori Amos
Isis3Anubis

Post by Isis3Anubis »

miachrhys wrote:
As for the common associations, I think they come from folklore more than anything else. I've heard time and again that Amethyst was used to keep people from becoming intoxicated but I have been drunk while in the vicinity of my Amethyst. Does that mean my amethyst doesn't work? Of course not. I think we have to try to understand the mindset of these crystal's associations in terms of the people that gave them those associations. Maybe Amethyst is thought to possess that power because a member of a royal family attempted to get drunk one night and it didn't happen? I don't think we'll ever know for sure.

I was drunk at a frat party and being around strange guys I prayed not to pass out. I kept chanting "Amethyst" in my head while visualizing the stone. I was sober within twenty minutes later and wide awake all night! It was a life saver.
She's just pieces of me you've never seen ~ Tori Amos

Return to “Crystals and Gemstones”