Book Of Shadows

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Crow

Book Of Shadows

Post by Crow »

Hey guys. Corney question, :? but that's my speciality,,, ::coolglasses:: Well i have started a book of shadows, nice, black leather, steal buckel, ::coolglasses:: but in your oun words , in you oun oppinion, what should be kept, or writen down in a book of shadows? Now don't go given me the basic run-doun from some website. What do you keep in it?. .. Would writing a major event in it be unapropriate ?, Is a book of shadows unusual for a solitary witch? And do the spells writen in it have to be yours? Any answers are much appreciated. Thanks-
sheherazade

Post by sheherazade »

mine:i write spellwork as i do it.
the results if & when i notice any.
the card i pull for myself at full moon rituals(when i do them *blush*)
sometimes revelations or epiphanies......
when i oh so rarely have them.
hedge*

Post by hedge* »

My book of shadow consists of about 4 different books crammed with scraps of paper, newspaper articles,poems,recipes you name it just about anything that I find interesting/useful/important. In fact it is more of a pile of shadows than anything else, I really should sort it all out.

You can put whatever you like into your BOS, the rules are there are no rules.

hedgewitch
being-singular-plural

Post by being-singular-plural »

My book of shadows looks quite traditional in places, then other places it appears more like a diary or a journal. So, of course you can write out profound events and experiences. It is your book--write what you like! Enjoy it!

Blessings,

bsp
Tinevisce

Post by Tinevisce »

The spells that you put in them doesn't neccesarily have to be yours, and I agree with the others
Abhishek
"The witch who can't hex, can't heal"
"Follow The Threefold Laws ye should,
Three times bad and three times good"
Crow

Post by Crow »

Hey guys , thanks , :D hehe i feel alot more sure now that its ok for me to write my poems and notes in it ::coolglasses:: , and as for the spells, i have writen like 2 down in it from 's site, :roll: thats okay, right? Or would that be some life-altering :shock: horridly devastating mistake? (j/k)
Orion

Post by Orion »

You're survive, ;). Those spells are free afterall, lol.
Personally I am working on an electronic one (though I never have time anymore) and I keep a normal book as a quick and handy reference (part of it is my dream journal, another part has my yoga routines, etc). So yeah, it's all okay to put personal stuff and notes in there with the magical stuff.
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as judge in the field of truth and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the Gods." -Einstein

There are always facts, the best most of us can do is try to continuously adjust our opinions to become closer to those facts. For that, there is Science and Philosophy. One to argue facts and one to argue opinions. The result: The big bang is some sort of sexual innuendo resulting from your subconscious.
Dawn Faerie

Post by Dawn Faerie »

My BOS is a folder, with several sections divided by those dividy thingymajigs you get. :D I like to be organsised LOL and also i makes it easier to find stuff. the first section consists of my beleifs, rules that a i follow, my opinions on certain things, such as birth cermonies, handfasting etc. Then there's chants, prayer and invocations, followed by rituals. then theres a section on my personal development, wich is sort of like a diary, and i put in an entery whenever i feel it is nessessary, along with pictures, poems, stories and general musings. then theres my magickal reaserch, where i put... well... everything else :D
its all on paper in the folder, so i can add stuff wherever i like :D
Avildar Ratlav

Re: Book Of Shadows

Post by Avildar Ratlav »

Crow wrote:Hey guys. Corney question, :? but that's my speciality,,, ::coolglasses:: Well i have started a book of shadows, nice, black leather, steal buckel, ::coolglasses:: but in your oun words , in you oun oppinion, what should be kept, or writen down in a book of shadows? Now don't go given me the basic run-doun from some website. What do you keep in it?. .. Would writing a major event in it be unapropriate ?, Is a book of shadows unusual for a solitary witch? And do the spells writen in it have to be yours? Any answers are much appreciated. Thanks-
In my opinion, you can put anything you want to in it, I put spells I have wrote, dreams I have had, feelings that I can't express to others, sometimes things that I do, heh, I even draw in mine. Really I think it is up to you what you put in it, and no one way is a set way of doing it. Make up your own mind and put what you feel it's your BOS and no one Else's.
Aloron

Post by Aloron »

People are thinking too much lol. Remember the whole purpose of the first Book of Shadows was in order to remember things when people werent allowed to talk about them. So just write down things in it that you would like to remember. You arent going to offend anyone by writing poems and other peoples spells (who the hell copyright's a spell?). And be sure you write in it often because it is useful to have all your info nearby and in one place.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”