Falling Alseep?

Post meditations or discuss consciousness exploration here.
Brinie26

Falling Alseep?

Post by Brinie26 »

I read an article recently on reprogramming the subconcious mind. It suggests a lot of meditation. I have tried meditation in the past and usually end up falling asleep, or can't clear my mind. Recently I;ve been working at clearing my mind and I think I've found a technique that works, but I keep falling alseep. Anyone have any suggestions to keep myself in the meditative state as opposed to the sleep state?

Thanks.
Wolf*

Post by Wolf* »

The best advice I can give is to not meditate when you are tired. Make sure you are wide awake, but not hyper.
---Wolf---

"And a godlike man--a man who is pure force--inaccessible to any compromise--is called a hero."
Orion

Post by Orion »

Sometimes using mantras helps. Something even as simple as saying a very long 'Om' at a time (oooohhhhmmmm, etc). With trial and error you can figure out you can figure out to seperate complete sleeping relaxation with particular meditations. Have you tried playing ambient or soft music and hanging onto (for lack of better words) to the sound keep awake?
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as judge in the field of truth and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the Gods." -Einstein

There are always facts, the best most of us can do is try to continuously adjust our opinions to become closer to those facts. For that, there is Science and Philosophy. One to argue facts and one to argue opinions. The result: The big bang is some sort of sexual innuendo resulting from your subconscious.
Vicki*

Post by Vicki* »

Lots and lots of practice is about the only advice I can give you!
sheherazade

Post by sheherazade »

don't lie down either.
being-singular-plural

Post by being-singular-plural »

Sometimes I fall asleep as well, and to tell you the truth, it is not that bad. I usually get vivid dreams plus a restful sleep. Thus it's win/win! So fear not, falling asleep and meditation do sometimes belong together. However, like the others said, it is best to do it either in the morning soon after you wake up, or at a time when your energy levels are conducive to meditative practice. Good luck with your practice!

Blessings,
bsp
Moon_Stone

Post by Moon_Stone »

Don't feel bad, Brinie... I'm a can't-clear-the-mind sleeper too. And I've been trying for ten years. (Pretty sad, I know.) :28:
At least now I have a dog that keeps me on track, whenever I start to go off to la-la sleepy land, she's in there licking me! (And yes, I can even fall asleep when I'm sitting.)

Alas, all we can do is continue to practice and fight our battle against the "Z"s...

~BB~
Orion

Post by Orion »

Meditation is good for going to sleep normally anyway :)
Great cure for insomnia, hehe.
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as judge in the field of truth and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the Gods." -Einstein

There are always facts, the best most of us can do is try to continuously adjust our opinions to become closer to those facts. For that, there is Science and Philosophy. One to argue facts and one to argue opinions. The result: The big bang is some sort of sexual innuendo resulting from your subconscious.
Brinie26

Post by Brinie26 »

Thanks for the great suggestions and encouraging comments. I have tried ambient music to meditate to, but alas, I still fall asleep. I would say that I'm narcoleptic (sp?), but when I want to fall alseep I have one heck of a time.

I read somwhere that if you repeat a simple mantra such as "relax, relax, relax", for two minutes, that your concious mind will give up. But I find myself almost thinking on two wavelenghts. Does that make sense? I'll try to clarify. I can be saying the mantra over and over and I will still find my mind drifting to other topics at the same time. Is that possible? lol, maybe I have a hidden split personality.

Thanks,
Brinie
sheherazade

Post by sheherazade »

of course that's possible...what you are supposed to do if errant thought s enter your head is to just let them float away like vapor.
it seems you are trying too hard for some perfect medatative state.
relax & enjoy the experience however it turns out.
sheherazade

Post by sheherazade »

oh & practice makes perfect.(or close to it anyway)

Return to “Consciousness Work and Meditation”