State-sponsored "Year of the Bible" Govt mixing /w religion

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Azzura

State-sponsored "Year of the Bible" Govt mixing /w religion

Post by Azzura »

This was an email passed onto me that I found unbelievable that it was even considered and I hope some can help appose it and others watch out for it happening in their area.

Subject: Repeal PA state-sponsored "Year of the Bible"

On January 24, 2012, The Pennsylvania House of Representatives unanimously passed H.R. 535, a non-binding resolution declaring 2012 "The Year of the Bible." The resolution states that we have a "national need to study and apply the holy scriptures," a position which clearly favors Christianity over other religions and violates the separation of church and state as protected by the Constitution of the United States.

As a Pennsylvanian, I wish to make clear that I do NOT support the Bible as the preferred state religious text, and I oppose the passage of a state resolution that formally declares the Bible as the word of God and asserts that strengthening of our nation occurs by "renewing our knowledge of and faith in God through holy scripture." H.R. 535 is not only unconstitutional, it ignores and devalues the great diversity of peoples and religions which actually constitute the state of Pennsylvania.

This resolution, even though it is non-binding, sends a message about citizenship and belonging to Christians and non-Christians alike. This message about whose beliefs are legitimate in the eyes of the state is especially dangerous in our current climate of anti-Islamic rhetoric and strengthened federal powers of detention. H.R. 535 positions the state to take future action limiting freedom of religious expression and persecuting those who disagree with state-approved religion. I urge Pennsylvania's House of Representatives to repeal H.R. 535.

Will you sign this petition? Click here:

http://signon.org/sign/repeal-pa-state- ... by=1213029

Thanks!
::darkmood::
MsMollimizz

Re: State-sponsored "Year of the Bible" Govt mixing /w relig

Post by MsMollimizz »

I signed !!!
Until one has loved an animal,
part of their soul remains un-awakened.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge." Steven Hawkings
The Judge

Post by The Judge »

Here's something to think on. :)

"If by the mere force of numbers a majority should deprive a minority of any clearly written constitutional right, it might, in any moral point of view, justify revolution-..."

Do you know who said that. Abraham Lincoln, First Inaugural Address, 1861

Believe me, if they pass it, file an appeal through the supreme court. It's a constitutional issue if you can prove factually that it infringes on your constitutional rights. :) Hope this helps, too. :D I can elaborate further but it doesn't seem appropriate at the moment. :p
Do not attempt, Achieve
Do not hear, Listen
Do not go blindly forward, See
Do not judge, Understand
Do not forget, for in this you shall learn nothing
-The Judge
Wolf Heart

Post by Wolf Heart »

I signed for you.

As much as our government is supposed to be a seperation of church and state, religion still has a very big influence on the workings of our government.
~*People fear the beast within the wolf because they do not understand the beast within themselves.*~

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”