advice for hectic livingspace?

Post meditations or discuss consciousness exploration here.
AzureImpaler

advice for hectic livingspace?

Post by AzureImpaler »

Hello again, all! (been a while again.) After a lovely trip in early August, I gained a much needed spiritual cleaning, and peace in my heart that I was missing. It was easy for me to meditate through simple reflection in nature - we were mostly alone, in the beautiful, open desert, with the most gorgeous view of the heavens above.

Now, I'm back home in Southern California, and life is back to it's hectic progress. Four people in a small house make meditation difficult for me, as I enjoy solitary meditation; and though I can work through distractions, it is more difficult as the amount of distractions increase.

I ask you, my friends; what advice might you have for meditating in this kind of environment? I'd like to be able to simply "be", as I could back in the desert. I'm afraid since leaving for home, it's been more difficult than it was while we were still out there. :\ Thanks in advance if you can help me out at all.
Eternity begins, and ends, with the ocean's tides.
Traumwandlerin

Post by Traumwandlerin »

What kind of meditation are you into? Cause your roomates would be surely glad when you demand calmness for your dishwashing meditation ;)

Don't you have a room on your own? When not, maybe try a paravent? If the noise of other people distracts you, use white noise (or brown noise) for yourself.
AzureImpaler

Post by AzureImpaler »

I have a room of my own, but unfortunately the walls are paper thin. I DO like the idea of Bose headphones though. I've been listening to some really beautiful "spacey" music. The kind of gentle ambient music that you can only think of drifting through a nebula while hearing? Yeah. :D

I'll be working at the "Queen Mary" ship for October during their Halloween Dark Harbor Haunted Attraction. It's short, and popular Halloween, but it pays, and looks good from what I saw.

Anyhow, I like the kind of meditation where I can either find somewhere quiet to reflect, usually with my eyes closed, and in some kind of nature. (for me, under the big tree in my back yard is closest easiest place to go.) I've had some pleasant meditation in my room as well, though having a free-spirited dog as my little buddy has made in-room meditation a little more difficult. He's usually good though.
Eternity begins, and ends, with the ocean's tides.
Oliver

Post by Oliver »

I also third the use of Bose headphones. I find that earbuds are disturbing to meditation since they are more irritating to the inner ear (aurally, as well as physical comfort). Having the nice padded headphones that cradle the ear are much more soothing and help to create your own 'world.' Also, a soft padded eyemask could be a helpful tool. Rather than having to make the effort to close your eyes, they will be encouraged to. This will allow you to be enveloped more by the music and scented fragrance (should you decide to use).

Also, have you ever tried doing some light stretching with your eyes closed? I love to sit on the floor and let my arms flow where they want to go to the music. It's somewhat like dancing while still. Good luck :)
Jadis

Re: advice for hectic livingspace?

Post by Jadis »

Sometimes I meditate at work when everyone in the office has left for the day, its just peaceful and quite.

When I had four roomates it was INCREDIBLY difficult to meditate since someone was always home. I enjoyed waking up extra early, drinking some tea, and meditate after relaxing yoga.

When you meditate what disturbs you the most? The sounds, the energy, the embarissment of being walked in on?
Y0m

Post by Y0m »

Well, although music is great it can also cause some suffering.
Clinging onto anything outside of your inner self causes suffering,
so the goal is to be mindful of this in your day to day life.
It's a lot easier said then done,
but if you happen to get some alone time I'd recommend listening to a little music,
but then take some definite quiet time to simply breath and rebalanced completely.
Love.
All I know is I love you.
That's about all I can do.
kakorpoate

Post by kakorpoate »

I guess you can make it in a way that you distribute the work to each of your family member. Most of the people prefer these soft and comfortable sofas as they take less space in the corner of your home. This will divide the work and no single person will have the entire burden.

Return to “Consciousness Work and Meditation”